18' Series How to level a Tandem Axle caravan - raise front height

rambler_perth

Jul 30, 2017
Perth
Hello!

We have an 18.58-2 CL expanda and understand that to level each side we need a leveling ramp on one side. No probs. However, when it comes to tandem axle and you need to raise the front height (to be level with the back-end) due to being on a slope - how is this achieved with tandem axle? Obviously I use the jockey wheel which brings it up and my level on the draw bar tells me all good - but then the door won't shut properly as all I have done is bent the chassis upward due to having tandem axles. With a single axle this would be fine (as it pivots on the one pair of wheels) but with tandem it would seem that there is no pivot and we are just placing tension on the chassis? thoughts?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are lifting the front up where you require some blocks under jockey I would advise you put the front wheels up on some blocks, say 25mm for starters, this should keep the axle within it's free play limit.
Sounds like when you lift the front up high you are also running out of axle play and lifting them as well so the load is taken by the rear axle and chassis flex as a result.
Running up your front wheels on a block or your chocks at the front should sort it. The idea being to keep your axles in the same plane as the chassis.

Have done it myself once.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Make sure you don't have to much pressure on 1 or more of the stabilisers. We found with to much pressure on the front one near the door we had to *slam* the door to shut it. Took some pressure off and it was fine.