Electrical how to change "7 pin flat" to "Anderson plug"?

Hi,
car we might be buying has a "7-pin-flat" but our Expanda has an "Anderson" Plug.
What's the easiest way getting those 2 together without loosing functions?
Can it be done with a converter?
Do I need an auto electrician?
(if so, who can recommend one in Sydney region or has a friend there who is gifted, talented and willed coping with me ;-)

Cheers!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The plugs are for two different things, the 7 pin comes in round or flat versions, these are used for the stop, turn, clearance and reverse light operation they can also provide power for electric brakes, fridge power or general 12v power to van, if you run out of pin's then you use a 12 pin this has 5 larger pin's to carry the heavier current required by the fridge but many use an Anderson for this to save any meltdown problems they also prevent voltage drop by being able to use better cable...
So you may need to add an Anderson to your tug but shouldn't remove the 7 pin...note a 7 pin will plug into a 12 pin but only the smaller pins will be usable... I run 7 pin flat plug with an Anderson for fridge power, don't run anything for 12v power to van as solar charges my batteries so no need for any dc-dc charger expense.

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh

Hylux

Sep 1, 2017
Newcastle
The Anderson plug will be for running the fridge. If you car doesn't have one you would need it installed. A heavy gauge wire needs to be installed from car battery to a new Anderson plug at rear of your car so you can plug fridge in while driving. Also need a relay installed so power is cut when you stop otherwise your car battery will go flat quickly.

Is your van plug a 7 or 24 pin ??

An auto electrican or similar would be best to do for you.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your van should also have a socket like this one..............

EL02217_1.jpg or this one ........PP2054-7-pin-round-trailer-plugImageMain-515.jpg hanging off the end of a fat cable near the hitch........................

With one like this on the back of the tug.............ark-7-pin-flat-led-trailer-plug.jpg...... or this ,..z7 Pin Socket Round.jpg the round plugs or flat do the same job......................

The Anderson plug should be hanging off its own lead .........
.anderson.jpg the plugs are same same and will plug into each other and used for powering fridge and stuff........if you want to run 12v from tug to van to run the fridge you will have to do what @Hylux described but first check the van out as some have an anderson to just charge the battery from tug not the fridge, like most add ons they all need to be checked for function not assumed...but the anderson will have nothing to do with running your van brake,turn or parking lights.

Last edited:
Thanks to @MDS69 we got the 7-pin „flat“ to a „round“ converted. Only problem now is that missing break controller (and monitoring system for the Jaycos safe-break-battery).

First mechanic did ask 2K for the job, second only 1.1K (without monitoring system)

Reasonable pricing?

Attachments

• 2F5987CF-E873-4B8E-B746-5A1DB08FC54F.png
    2F5987CF-E873-4B8E-B746-5A1DB08FC54F.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 273

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Prices are about normal but thats a lot of $$, drop the Anderson plug for fridge supply, thats a lot of $$$, just go the brake controller, brake safe monitor (as they are a legal requirement) , trust me unless your driving 10-12 hr a day every day your fridge won't notice its not on and thats just too much damn money to connect up a fridge........

Thanks, fridge in the van runs on gas when we are in the middle of nowhere, and 240 when we are on a powered site.
We have the monitor system done as car will be registered in WA were this system is not required (we‘ll be leaving NSA within 2-3 weeks)
So @Drover, you wouldn’t do any of the „Anderson“ work that is mentioned in the quote?

Mechanic‘s wife will have their second baby today, but tomorrow he‘s back at work

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I deleted my first reply as it wasn't really good advice as I'm not fully aware of your camping style, so suffice to say if you are free camping a lot, have solar to power up your batteries whilst travelling then 12v tug to van for charging isn't really a biggy the solar should take care of it all otherwise you would be in trouble in camp, I've already mentioned my view of running fridge on 12v, if you are predominately camping with 240v supply then charging as you go down the road isn't really needed either as they should be kept charged when plugged into 240..................though if you don't have solar and aim to camp for a few days free camping without using a genny then the 12v charg from car is required so when you arrive everything is juiced up and can be recharged when you leave, trying to charge at camp by runnning the vehicle is not a great idea, idling a vehicle for long periods doesn't do them any good, burns heaps of fuel for not a great deal of charge unless you want run it for hours.....a standard alternator to provide high charge needs to run higher than idle......hence a genny is a better idea.

Of course others may tend to disagree, there are numerous views on the subject.... No use fitting something at great expense if its hardly used.

My rig doesn't get 12v from tug as solar powers it all, rarely camp with 240v supply and if need 240 when free camping we fire up the genny, fridge on gas and all appliances other than the washing machine run on 12v.................free camp for a week at a time and drive for maybe 4-5 hrs once a week when we move.....

Last edited: