How a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) Works

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
As a new comer to the world of caravanning I took delivery of our very first caravan – a 2.5T 17.56-2OB Expanda in April this year. In the months prior to delivery the researching and accessory shopping began… and so did the information overload. So may options, new terminology, opinions and sales people or fancy marketing to persuade us to purchase one thing over another.

One accessory / towing aid which I recall spending many hours reviewing was the Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH) – whether or not I should get one, go the suspension upgrade to keep it level, or do I need both? I have a dual cab with 3T towing capacity so it should be able to handle the van alright - right?

After all the forum searches, internet searches and flicking through heaps of caravanning magazines the van arrived and I just bought a WDH because it seems the majority of other van towers have them and recommend them too. It also made sound sense to distribute the load and level out the rig for safer vehicle dynamics. I do know it felt better when towing with the WDH on.

I have since stumbled across an article in an old issue of Caravan and Motorhome magazine which gives a clearer explanation and the general science behind how the WDH works in relation to rig dimensions and weights, and the difference with just getting the tow rig level. I have a brain wired for engineering and found it useful to know – attached is a copy of the article. Whilst I know you can’t take everything you read as true – the science and maths behind this stand to reason (i.e. reference in article to suspension stiffness when level and no change in axle load...)

It’s also quite interesting that the normal passengers + cargo + seemingly standard getup/accessories that I have since put on the tug seem to max out all the allowable cargo limits without even trying and there’s still much more I want to add to my setup. I will be taking a trip to the local weigh bridge to see what the weights are like in the ‘real world’… I don’t want to see the figures.

Cheers Ligedy

Attachments

• WDH Article (Small).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 674
Last edited:

Alex Thompson

Dec 6, 2013
Reading your post, I had flashbacks to the first time I had to figure out what weight distribution system was right for me. all that math, and all those choices... what is my tongue weight? what the heck is a the GTW? it is enough to make you mad. I was about to give up, but then a friend of mine pointed me toward sites like hitchanything.com and etrailer. They have some really well done articles that help explain and breakdown all the stuff you need to know. here is one of the pages I used to figure out all that stuff.
http://www.hitchanything.com/Weight-Distribution-hitch-guide.html

Reactions: Ligedy