17' Series Hot water system

KWOZ

Jul 4, 2019
Melbourne
Hi , I have an 17”5 Expanda which is only 4 months old and for some reason I can’t get hot water under mains power . The switch in the hot water locker on the side of the van is in the on position and the power is on in the van but no hot water ?? Is there a fuse that I should be checking or am I missing something ?

KWOZ

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
There has to be a cord from the HWS to power somewhere, it is the only way to provide 240 v to the unit. If it is not there then Jayco have not connected it during manufacture but while this is possible, it is highly unlikely.
You said there is power in the van, the lighting in the van is only 12v and will work even when power not connected. Is the microwave on or does the fridge run on 240v? Is the RDC on or has it tripped? If the van is only 4 months old then a trip back to Jayco may be the best answer.
Good luck.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a look in the cupboard or whatever the inside section of your HWS is living in, you will find a grey lead, follow that to the power point, with the dinky switch on the outside of the heater turned on, the power point is where you should turn your HWS on or off on 240, leave the little switchoutside ON, Always turn the 240v point off before disconnecting from water main, turn it back on AFTER connecting water, then you wont cook things....When in doubt post pictures...

The obvious question is do you have something like this on the side of your van ?

images.jpeg

KWOZ

Jul 4, 2019
Melbourne
There has to be a cord from the HWS to power somewhere, it is the only way to provide 240 v to the unit. If it is not there then Jayco have not connected it during manufacture but while this is possible, it is highly unlikely.
You said there is power in the van, the lighting in the van is only 12v and will work even when power not connected. Is the microwave on or does the fridge run on 240v? Is the RDC on or has it tripped? If the van is only 4 months old then a trip back to Jayco may be the best answer.
Good luck.

Hi Chartrock
Yeah feeling pretty stupid now but with your help nailed it down, so although I’ve wasted many hours trying to work it out it’s all working good . Still learning about the van- pros and cons but enjoying the experience .
KWOZ

Reactions: chartrock

KWOZ

Jul 4, 2019
Melbourne
Have a look in the cupboard or whatever the inside section of your HWS is living in, you will find a grey lead, follow that to the power point, with the dinky switch on the outside of the heater turned on, the power point is where you should turn your HWS on or off on 240, leave the little switchoutside ON, Always turn the 240v point off before disconnecting from water main, turn it back on AFTER connecting water, then you wont cook things....When in doubt post pictures...

The obvious question is do you have something like this on the side of your van ?

View attachment 64181
Thanks Drover, now that I’ve found the main switch , does it matter if I turn the switch off on the outside panel and leave it on at the power point or is it better if I do what u mentioned and turn it off at the power point and leave it on on the outside panel ?
KWOZ

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I turn mine off at the outside unit as my plug and switch is under my bed and awkward to get at, but I’m pretty sure @Drover turns his off inside. Just remember to turn it off as it can cause problems if left on and connected with the possibility of no water in the HWS.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I prefer to switch off on main plug inside as I have had the dinky little switch outside fail and they are the most awkward mongrel things to replace and require a specific style as the pins at the back are angled......Most important to hook water up and run hot taps to ensure tank full before turning ON, turn OFF before unhooking water.

KWOZ

Jul 4, 2019
Melbourne
I prefer to switch off on main plug inside as I have had the dinky little switch outside fail and they are the most awkward mongrel things to replace and require a specific style as the pins at the back are angled......Most important to hook water up and run hot taps to ensure tank full before turning ON, turn OFF before unhooking water.

Thanks guys , I appreciate your help very much . While I’ve got you , Jayco must be on consignment to make some money out of installing different lock barrels for the Expanda ends - I have 3 that are the same and one which requires a different key , why would you manufacture something like that ?! I would’ve thought the logical thing is to have the Expanda ends on one key , all other lockers on another with the third key being the door !

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I wanted easier access to the 240v GPO under the seat so, drilled a 10mm hole and had an electrician friend take the plug off and feed the cable thru the hole to another GPO which is accessible without dismantling the club lounge! Saves having to use the switch in the outside HWS compartment. Why would you have it plugged into a GPO in such an awkward location!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks guys , I appreciate your help very much . While I’ve got you , Jayco must be on consignment to make some money out of installing different lock barrels for the Expanda ends - I have 3 that are the same and one which requires a different key , why would you manufacture something like that ?! I would’ve thought the logical thing is to have the Expanda ends on one key , all other lockers on another with the third key being the door !
I have two keys, bed end on one and then the rest on another. :clap2:

KWOZ

Jul 4, 2019
Melbourne
I wanted easier access to the 240v GPO under the seat so, drilled a 10mm hole and had an electrician friend take the plug off and feed the cable thru the hole to another GPO which is accessible without dismantling the club lounge! Saves having to use the switch in the outside HWS compartment. Why would you have it plugged into a GPO in such an awkward location!

Hi Glen, what a brilliant idea . Thank you for that . I totally agree with you , I can’t understand why the plug is not more easily accessible - I can understand that you don’t want to accidentally turn it on but to put it away underneath a seat seems crazy to me . Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On my 14.44 I overcame the problem of too many keys by not locking them, if you can pull the barrel out with a hook why bother...just lock the door.