Hot water system

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Can anyone help, our water system only works off the pump. Is this the way they are or is there something I'm not doing, the HWS instruction manual is the only one I haven't left in the van. :help:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
gday CG, no that isnt the only the only it should work, should work from mains supply too. need to ask some silly questions as i assisted one other vanner just last week.

have you turned it on the from the switch within the hws external point behind all the piping for it to warm up?
have you given it about 25mins to get hot?
if using gas, does the ignitor light illuminate(good trick to light the stove first to bleed the system, hws will light first go then)?

have failed these, have a look around the supply feed to the hws system and track along looking for the one-way valve, it just could be installed the 180o out, possibly kinked supply hose. cheers.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
What is actually happening, CG? Is the water actually coming out when the tap is turned to hot? If no water out of the hot tap then I'd try what Pace suggested, looking at the line for blockages. If water is coming out of the hot tap then the power must be off as there is no difference to the operation of the heater as long as there is water in the tank.

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
We have come to the conclusion that there must be a faulty valve of some sort as when you turn the hot tap on, if it has been sitting for a while , water will come out for a few seconds then stop only on mains , but works just fine when on pump and this is happening on all hot water taps including the shower, there are no kinks to be seen and the non return valve seems to be facing the same direction as my friends 17 expanda
Cheers Grant

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Maybe disconnect the line between where the hose connects and the HWS and look for a blockage or back to the dealer for a warranty fix. Sounds like an odd problem, CG. Good luck. :shocked:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
My friend had one where they put the tempering valve on back to front. Its a brass valve that looks like a big tee. Hot out of HWS goes to H on valve and cold goes to C. Mixed water goes to hot taps. It will probably be under the van, follow the hot pipe out of the HWS. Maybe that!

Geoff

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Couldn't fix it Back home now will take it in for Warranty also discovered that when you leave the cold tap on, on either pump or mains, Hot water starts to come out for a few seconds (Not just Warm water in pipe weather was too cold for that) so possibly a faulty tempering Valve . Also getting air in pump constantly , leave the tap on for a while all the air leaves pump works great leave it for a while and turn it on again and the pump is full of air is very noisy and pump runs for 10 or 15 secs after you turn the tap off. No other dramas though all else was good Mght sit down to night and have a beer and do a trip report with a photo or two thanks for your help everyone

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Had it at the Dealers today for 1st service and Warranty, Gordon agrees that it is the Tempering Valve but they didn't have a replacement one in stock so they will send me one up in the Post when it arrives and I'll fit it myself. Must say I am very impressed by everyone at Caravanland here in W.A. super friendly people and nothing was too much trouble. Only other warranty Issue I had them look at was the roof latching clip rubbing on the awning when opening or closing it with the awning rolled up and they fixed that.

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi all update on the tempering valve saga, turns out not to be a faulty tempering valve but a non return valve installed in the wrong place, gave up on waiting for Caravan land to send me a new one so I bought one, fitted it and it didn't solve the problem , after a bit of head scratching I finally worked out that the non return valve fitted where it was ,wasn't allowing cold water to get to the tempering valve when on mains , so the tempering valve was doing what it was supposed to and not allowing boiling hot water through but because cold water could get to it on pump it was working fine. So I moved the non return valve and all is good drawing attached cheers Grant Scan 18.jpg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I wonder how many others are out there like that. Good work. Hot water is too complicated these days, but the up side is not as many kids get scalded like they used to. Anyway you have a spare tempering valve, they are not cheap. The plumbing on vans is not done by plumbers, only signed off by them.

Cheers Geoff