20' Series Hot Water System - Melted pipe

Andrew Noon

Oct 19, 2015
Mango Hill
Hi Guys,

Just hoping for some advice. Our hot water seems to work on mains but not on gas. I opened up the cover to take a look and it looks like the hot water pipe has completely melted! I obviously know I need to replace this but should I be checking anything else while I'm at it? If it's melted does that mean the thermostat has failed too or can it just get really hot in there - it's very possible my kids have accidentally knocked the heater on and it's stayed on a long time - very possible!

Here's a pic:

20151018_114102.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum @Andrew Noon. I'm no expert on the heaters but that pipe takes the water from the pressure relief valve if the water gets too hot. The water would never get hot enough to melt the plastic pipe but i notice a wire behind the pipe that appears to have overheated and melted the plastic cover behind it. I would suspect that something has happened with the gas inlet just beside the pink melted pipe and caused some failure and would be taking it to an expert for repairs. We do have some knowledgeable people here who may be able to provide a more comprehensive reply.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It could also be that you may have a spider in the gas burner (can see webs), it may has caused the flame to roll out and burn wires and pipe. Also the burner looks discoloured. Turn the gas and power off to it and get it checked. Also don't use it on power as the drain is blocked so it would put pressure on all the pipes.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well the drain was obviously touching the burner pipe and the flange is leaking also which if like mine could leak into the wall.
Now the best fix is to remove the plastic pipe and flange fitting and replace with a copper pipe and use a normal plumbing fitting on the tank, it is a DIY as it is just click and fit like Lego. Otherwise just get another bit of pipe and refit it keeping it away from the burner, remove and clean upthe flange and use thread tape to get a good seal.
My thread has pics of my recent HWS fix...........when I get home Ill be going the copper pipe mod.

After having another look at the pic enlarged @chartrock is onto something there, should have asked first using gas or 240 ?

Last edited:

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
That is not a DIY fix unless you are confident in your abilities with gas. There is no doubt the gas flame has caused the water pipe and the insulation from the wire to melt. It would be impossible for hot water to do that. Highly recommend that you have that looked at by a professional before your next trip. By having it looked at straight away there might be a possibility of a repair rather than a replacement if you keep using it.

Be great if you could keep us all informed. We are always hungry for information on all things caravan.

Reactions: macca

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
@Drover in your opinion what do you think has caused the water pipe to melt and the wire next to it to melt? The black plastic that the wire is touching looks like it has melted a bit as well. What else could cause that much heat in a concentrated area?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
At the end of the day we don't send a photo to the doctor and ask what is wrong with me. We go to the doctor.

Sometimes fixing the symptom doesn't fix the cause.

Yes the pipe has melted, but the wire has got that hot that it has melted into the black cover. The burner is discoloured. A gas burner at the inlet end should not get hot enough to melt a pipe, if operating cleanly it is drawing in air and gas for combustion, these are not hot.

It could be any number of reasons causing this issue, the only safe answer is get it checked by a Jayco authorised repairer or licensed plumber/Gasfitter.

Cheers Geoff

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had a look at mine and the black wire isn't an earth wire and operates the gas solenoid so at a guess there was a flare in the burner pipe, like when your barbie gets a roaring sound when you light it up, and things have cooked so inspection by gas fitter would be the idea, the amount of cable melt shows it possibly wasn't a electrical short.

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep something nasty has gone on there and it ain't just heat. As above Get a gas fitter to look at because I fear there is something seruiosly wrong.

Fyi you know why the outer cover on those suburbans are just a light piece of metal crap losely attached? It's designed so that when they go bang it blows the cover off and not the system in!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
How comforting.

And interesting. I might just check ours as it hasn't been used for a while.

Will be keen to hear of any diagnosis.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I wonder if a mongrel mud wasp has been visiting..???

That's a good point @Drover I always tend to be late at a campsite firing it up in the dark! Probably be a good check to do before leaving? The bastards do get everywhere.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I will go with spider web in the burner. Been fixing gas appliances for 30 years, spiders love gas burners, especially in appliances that are off for long periods, like outdoor ducted heaters, bbqs etc. Many appliances have flame roll out safety devices for that exact reason.

Cheers Geoff

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I will go with spider web in the burner. Been fixing gas appliances for 30 years, spiders love gas burners, especially in appliances that are off for long periods, like outdoor ducted heaters, bbqs etc. Many appliances have flame roll out safety devices for that exact reason.

Cheers Geoff

Hey Macca is it okay to squirt a bit if surface spray around to discourage spiders?