14' Series Hot Water services - Which one

May 1, 2017
Hobart
Hi Guys

So my little 14.44.4 Jayco didn't come with a hot water service, no big deal, we typically dont use hot water much on board, but that was when we had a caper trailer.

Now with the upgrade in luxury levels, i am thinking i might get a hot water service for the caravan. I will install it myself with the exception of Gas which my gas fitter will do.

Question, whcih service should i go for, Suburban, Truma, Webasto, Dometic etc etc.

Preferences?
Whats good whats not good etc.

Please advise.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
If I was fitting one from scratch, I'd look at one of the combination water heater/air heaters like the Truma combi 2E.

Pretty expensive but probably better than 2 separate units

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would go the Surburban, cheaper for parts if needed and hear less complaints about them than the others though a lot swear by the instant systems....Have seen quite a few Trumas replaced with Surburbans.

Reactions: KECL

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I agree with Drover, I have not had any issues with my suburban and also have seen a bloke in the caravan next to mine swear blue murder when he had to replace his Truma on how much it was and why did he opt for the "better" HWS his van was only just over 2 years old and was told it was out of warranty. His total bill to get it replaced was $2500

Reactions: Drover

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
I too had this question but just stumbled across a brand new truma ultra rapid second hand but still new in box for $550. Installing it at the moment, it it just the gas version and looks like a quality unit. I have installed it and done the cutout, just need to organise the plumbing and gas now