Honey it's raining under the van

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We went to Warburton on Thursday for a short stay.
Half way through the day my wife informs me it is raining under the van.
A quick look inside reveals flooding across the floor. So we quickly lower the jacks in one corner of the van and push the opposite corner jack up to get the water moving to one corner of the van.
Source of the water is the hot water service. But it is not the hose connecting to the hot water service, but rather the brass fitting screwed into the hot water service.
A quick wiggle snaps the fitting in half completely.
So I call Jayco who say yeah we have had a batch of these where the fitting has been over tightened when installed at the factory.
So I drive to Jayco, get a new one and by the end of the day, all good.
My concern is around the comment Jayco made. So check your inlets / outlets for any leaks!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Overtightened plumbing and U bolt nuts not tight enough, not to mention brake wires.....looks like Jayco had a shocker this year!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I'm sure when I watched their factory tour video that they mentioned something about quality control gates , well I think it's time they checked the latches on those gates
Not so much as QC gates as cattle grids. If nothing falls off as you drive over it's a "Pass". Wonder if any of those guys actually have Jayco's of their own?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Maybe we expect too much these days. They did away with technical schools, and are slashing TAFE, because we don't need/want skilled tradesmen anymore. Torque wrench, what's a torque wrench? My auto tech mate was laughed at when he insisted on finishing off wheel nuts with a torque wrench. It was a $150k Range Rover he was working on, and the owner was getting charged an arm and a leg as well. Jeez I get grumpy some times!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I blame the management of Jayco more than the individuals. Jaycos business model is high throughput of vans at the cost of quality.
In other words, an individuals performance would be measured on number of units and shortest time taken to complete a task. Second to that would be quality of the task.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Ours leaked in the warranty period while we were in WA and the fittings were replaced by the local agent in Perth but I thought it was just a one off minor problem.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Would you believe it.... Just came back from a short weekend trip... The first after the first service.
Now one wheel is hot and smells of brakes.
One word....Muppets.

PRADO KEV

Feb 22, 2012
Mornington Peninsula
I thought I was the only one that had an internal water feature in my 6 month old 14.44.5 expanda. yes I too experienced the red hose connection to the hot water service failing. Thank goodness I was in the van and heard the sound of water. No damage though. Yes my local dealer did say the red hose was overtightened into the brass connector causing the thread to strip. My van currently in the shed has the red platic hose flapping in the wind until mid January's first service. I also wreckon the day my van was put together the jayco guys forgot to take their guide dogs to work. It seems that the dealers expect owners to have a list of warranty issues that need to be rectified at the vans first service, so far they appear very obliging to fix the issues. I'll wait and see in January !!!!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
A simple pressure test at say 40psi for 5 or 10 minutes would show a leak in the system, then they can track it and no water to wet anything. If this was done on ours it wouldn't of held pressure for 10 seconds and you'd like to think that they would of replaced the pipe that was cut for the shower! Anyway 3 months later should all be good now!

Cheers.