Hicksey's 17.56-2 Touring

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Hi guys,

New to the site and new to the world of caravanning.

Our family (Wife + 2 littlies) went away a few weekends recently and hired a 16.49-3b. We had such a ball that after returning a week or two ago, we started scouring the place to a suitable Expanda to suit our travel needs. We strongly considered getting one made, but would have had to had it all organised and decided on in about 2 days and we just didn't want to rush into it. We got a smoking deal on a brand new November 2012 plate 17.56-2 and managed to get a whole heap of extras thrown in including a custom annexe fitting of electric brakes and Weight distribution hitch for practically nothing.

Extras on the Panda:

- Tv anntenna & TV
- ALKO drop jacks
- Privacy screens
- Privacy curtains
- 100 Amp Battery
- Roof aircon
- 150 litre fridge
- Control Panel
- Radio/CD/ipod
- External Speakers

We pick up in about 2 weeks and couldn't be more excited.

What i am interested in is if there are any threads for noobies about setting up a van i terms of buying 'stuff' to live inside eg, kitchen ware, bed ware, tool kits etc etc.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Josh, and welcome to the forum :welcome: sounds like you got a great set up.

Best thing to do is what I have done and trawl through the threads and see what is of interest, try a few searches that might make things a bit quicker but it really depends on you and how you want to set yourself up. The site is full of good ideas and from what I have seen everybody is happy to share ideas.

Try starting with Jayco Expanda Discussions (All Models) and How To's / FAQ's / Technical Documents, then try All Other Jayco Caravans (All Models), General Discussion and My Jayco, that should keep you going with ideas for a week or two and by that time you will be getting close to getting your new van.

Good luck and can't wait to see how you go.

Dave

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Josh and welcome to the friendly forum. It seems like you are happy with a great deal, tell us a bit about yourself and your tug. We love pics.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
G'day Josh and Family.

Welcome to the forum, we went through the same thing in setting up our expanda, we opted for melamine or plastic plates and bowls to live permanently in the van. As for the knives and so on, we just shopped and bought some cheaper ones, but of good quality and pu them in the van. The wife likes a wine, so again plastic wine flutes there.

Basically we bought stuff that would not break. As for bedding we bought sets of linen from Kmart when they were on special. Two sets of matching linen, hmmmm not sure what that says about us but, hey it looks good. When we pack up to go home, we strip off one set and put on the clean stuff, but this also allows us to change sheets while on bigger trips and always have fresh linen.

Reactions: relgate

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
Cheer mick. Some handy tips there. We were thinking about possibly fitting out the van with Corelle dishware.

I suppose some of it will be trial and error.

Im interested in putting together a small tool box as we leant the hard way when renting last weekend and the front door handle snapped off!!!!!!!!

what do you blokes throw in a little toolbox to live in Your Panda?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Corelle are what we use. Our van is like as if its home, fully loaded ready to go at the drop of hat. When we had the Swan we transferred all to Expanda. Plastic cups are the go like Mick suggests. Don't forget a small heater, toaster, kettle, all the pots/ pans, cutlery for all the family (plus the odd blow in, now you've got the room to house them, because trust they will come!!!), pillows/ bedding/ sleeping bags (yes fitted sheets can stay on the mattress as you pack up), mattress protectors for those little accidents that can happen, batteries, torches, spare keys (both car and van, because accidents will happen and keep spares in car for van and for van in car, has happened to us!!!), tape fittings to match wherever you stay for water supply connections, spare o-ring for van nylex fitting, flynet repair kit.

As for toolbox, I'm sure there is a thread detailing things of essential to carry, though each to there own. Just look around, inside and under the van and have a think what could get caught on things that might need temp repair to get you by. Some will suggest a cordless drill and duct tape is the go too, yes i carry them. My thinking is that if you carry it you wont use it, has worked so far for us.

Are you mechanically minded or a "bush mechanic" (no offence intended any one), this too will warrant what you carry. If you watch 4WD shows, bush mechanics are everywhere and the things that get them by is quite clever.

Cheers Pace.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Josh and family, congrats on your purchase, glad you like the Expanda! Some great ideas above for stocking your van. I have a smallish tool box which works well, some items include: screwdrivers, sockets, shifters,glues,duct tape,cable ties,pliers,stanly knife, spare fuses,box of matches for fixing stripped screw holes,a length of John guest hose plus some JG joiners,thread tape (gas) bike puncture repair kit,electrical tape,I don't carry a cordless drill but one day ill need one,hose connections (2 sizes) and I also carry a multi meter. There's probably a few more thing I've forgotten but a good start!
One other tip for packing your van, use the anti slip matting with the holes in it for your cupboards, drawes and between pot and pans......nothing will move while travelling!
Have fun packing your new van and enjoy......don't forget the pics!

cheers.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I forgot to mention that I have a tool kit I have from Bunnings a Trojan kit with spanners and pliers, I carry cable ties and side cutters plus a hammer. I have also some electrical tape, fuses and emergency tape that I picked up from one of those stalls at the caravan and 4x4 shows. Extra toilet chemicals plus wooden chocks and a rubber mallet for hitting in pegs.

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Not sure if you have an ensuite but I love my shampoo/conditioner/body soap dispenser that we've put on the bathroom wall to save having lots of bottles. A spare sink plug too as they are so small and easy to lose. Colour coordinated throws or sheets to cover bases of lounges are my god send, easy to pick up and shake off outside after meals with kiddies. Microfibre cloth dedicated to washing the van.

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
So the news is out, picking the new girl up on Monday at 1300hrs. So pumped just spent the day shopping for lots of new goodies with the wife and kids! PLanning on giving it a shakedown for 3 nights this weekend up at Yarrawonga.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Josh and Family,
welcome to the forum, heaps of friendly folk in here along with lots of info. Congrats on the new Panda, sounds great. The last couple days waiting are a killer. Its the coolest feeling driving out the gate and seeing the new panda in the rear view.
along with the stuff the other guys mentioned, I carry two torches, One always goes flat when you need it. Also recommend a Foam Eggshell topper for the main bed. We got ours from target. Foot mat if you have a shower on board, also extra foot mats for placing outside the main door,inside and out. Tie downs for the awning. and finally, now this is very important, Beer, don't forget the beer :)
Enjoy Monday :thumb:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Getting close now....

We have a a carpet mat at the shower door and put a normal bath mat on that when showering. Works well even with 3 little ones. We also use a foam mat in the shower recess when in toilet mode so you dont get wet. (also squeegee wall and floors and Shamois toilet after last shower).

I carry a small 'made up' toolbox of all things listed above, including spare fuses, tapes, glue and silicone, velcro etc etc. Plus I carry a $50 bunnings type pre-stocked one in the tunnel boot. Mostly it comes in handy to fix the kids bikes!

Hiluxpanda

Mar 20, 2013
So the girl is out the front, parked up and sleeping. That was one long handover. We arrived at 1pm and didnt leave until about 4:20!!!!!

My head is completely full with, Do this, dont do that, be careful about this. Yadda Yadda. There is no way any human can remeber all of that. I think Jayco could write a little list of handy hints that the presenters each keep of their little tips. Id hate to forget the helpful ones.

Have uber amounts of questions that i will no doubt flood thse forums with, many may seem stupid but i will ask them anyway.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
So the girl is out the front, parked up and sleeping. That was one long handover. We arrived at 1pm and didnt leave until about 4:20!!!!!

My head is completely full with, Do this, dont do that, be careful about this. Yadda Yadda. There is no way any human can remeber all of that. I think Jayco could write a little list of handy hints that the presenters each keep of their little tips. Id hate to forget the helpful ones.

Have uber amounts of questions that i will no doubt flood thse forums with, many may seem stupid but i will ask them anyway.

Ask away as I just mentioned in your other post every question is an opportunity for others to learn so just ask as many questions as you need :)!

And on a learning curve I take the memory bank (the wife) to all memory requiring events as I forget my keys and even my name on most good days.

One question from me did you get the dvd with the van??

When & where is the first trip???

P.s We like pics :) :boink: