Hi from Tassie

Jolly

Jun 7, 2023
Tasmania
Thought I would introduce myself. My wife and I have just purchased a 2008 14.4 something Expanda with an ensuite.

This is our first go at caravanning and about to do our 3rd trip away.

We've had some teething issues with the previous owner 'upgrading' the electrics - wiring up the 12v in reverse and totally screwing up the wiring. We've since had that sorted as well as putting a twin battery set up in it.

Our first overnight run we woke up in a lovely -5 Tassie frost. A diesel heater was obtained from eBay the following week and that now keeps us warm. We have also insulated the Expanda base with silver windscreen sun reflectors and extra foam - which have made a world of difference.

We're slowly doing things to it to make it our own, and having fun in the process.

Looking forward to sharing what we've done and looking at what we can do.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Welcome to the forum lots of good ideas here ,and plenty of been there done that , we will be heading to Tassie in August for 12 weeks of looking around at our leisure ,we have winterised our van with carpet tiles on any vinyl flooring , added a wind skirt under the van ,and added a 5kw diesel heater, currently looking at ways to use our ensuite as a clothes airer while the diesel heater is running, planning is half the fun of the trip, take care stay warm
Thought I would introduce myself. My wife and I have just purchased a 2008 14.4 something Expanda with an ensuite.

We've had some teething issues with the previous owner 'upgrading' the electrics - wiring up the 12v in reverse and totally screwing up the wiring. We've since had that sorted as well as putting a twin battery set up in it.

Our first overnight run we woke up in a lovely -5 Tassie frost. A diesel heater was obtained from eBay the following week and that now keeps us warm. We have also insulated the Expanda base with silver windscreen sun reflectors and extra foam - which have made a world of difference.

We're slowly doing things to it to make it our own, and having fun in the process.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the Mob and having one of my fav vans, ask away as no dumb questions, just some answers at times.................................................................I wish I still had my 14.44 for the short runs it was a fantastic rig........... you may find some mod ideas in my old thread https://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

I had to redo some of my original wiring as it was pretty dodgy.....................

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands

i have a question for you as Tassie local, do you need to insulate your under van plumbing when the weather is cold down there? not an issue up here but is it something i should think about especially in August???

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
i have a question for you as Tassie local, do you need to insulate your under van plumbing when the weather is cold down there? not an issue up here but is it something i should think about especially in August???

I don't know about Tassie but at places like Warialda, Glen Innes, St George I needed my water lines insultated as they would freeze overnight.. just used household HW insulation on the lines.