Hi from a new member

Sevvy

Sep 10, 2018
Mandurah W.A.
Day to all,
I am new to your group and thought an intro might be good.
I am sevvy by nickname only, a great golfer in the 80's, him not me. We live in WA although we had a few years in Vic, Geelong and Ballarat.
We have a Jayco Sterling pop-top 2008, and we love it. We have just had 2 weeks away up north.

Impressed by the good banter and chats, plus the very useful info. So I look forward to the chats and info from you guys, as I am not an expert by any stretch.

Sevvy

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome aboard @Sevvy, it is a friendly place with a few insults flying around but all in good fun. Lots of good information for all types of vans as well so post away, ask anything and tell us about your travels. Plus, we love pictures. :couch2:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the Mob fella, a few Wait Awhiles on here and you will hopefully pick up some tips and have some good laughs on here, it is a friendly mob usually with lots of stirring, so join in with plenty of pictures.

There's no stupid questions either so ask away...............................we even allow Collingwood suporters.

Reactions: DRW and chartrock

Sevvy

Sep 10, 2018
Mandurah W.A.
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Oh no -Not a Collingwood supporter!!!
how do we go with Geelong supporters, I have supported them since 1975, the Eagles came to late to change teams.

We went up the west coast via Lancelin, Jurien bay to Sandy Cape and then Kalbarri, not too impressed with Kalbarri, lots of canyons to look at etc but a quiet town considering the tourist volume.
We came back down via the inland route and through the wildflower areas.
We loved Sandy Cape, 10klms north of Jurien bay. A council run park right on the beach,. no water or power though. It did have a small cafe for bacon and eggs or burgers, very handy.
The inland route is so different, lots of WA history, locations of POW camps, camps where Aussie diggers trained, plus all the gold and stuff.

We have a Jayco Sterling 2008 pop top, we bought it second hand because it was the only one, new or old , that had what we wanted, shower toilet, full size fridge and tons of storage.
We are just getting used to it, with a few changes in mind, we will see how we go with a few More trips.

We generally like the SW of WA, Dwellingup down to Denmark. Lots of forests etc.

We are hoping to do a trip around Aus in the next couple of years, we did it once in 1976 when we first came to WA, it may of changed a wee bit by now, will be good to see.

This pop top is bigger than the Coromal we had before, I had to cut a piece off the facia wood of the garage to get it down the side, it is wider as well.

Does anyone know what can restore some faded fibreglass, a section of the front is sun damaged.

sevvy

Reactions: 1DayIll

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Western Australian you say. Shame about the GST divvy up ... oh well. Your loss is our gain ;)

Lancelin. Oh yes i recall that ... the Australian capital for all things Singapore ant, including their painful bite and their insatiable appetite. Nom nom nom. For reasons i dont recall i chose to skip the Lancelin Singapore ant infestation; but i did get with the program later in Exmouth. Glad i didnt miss out >:(

A burger shop at Sandy Cape you say? Good and bad i suppose. Good for those camping there, but likely to attract more people. Thats new since we were there in '16, obviously enough trade to make it viable. The southern end of the camp area was way a little too much like a caravan park for our liking, so we opted to camp up in the northern annex where it was a lot less crowded and a little more freestyle. We grabbed a small single area completely surrounded by scrub, we may as well have been the only ones for miles. Great spot, but sounds like it may have changed a bit. There were water tanks attached to the long drop roofs?

That area around Dunsborough would be one of Australias many lesser known gems.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Welcome sevvy.

I am also in WA and had to polish up a powdery front of a Sterling we had purchased in June this year. I went to Automotive Paint Tools & Equipment, 14 Gibbs St, East Cannington WA 6107. They sold me a Sealcoat Polish and also Fibreglass Polish. I dont know which worked best, but it certainly improved the front of the van. Just finished putting in 2 grey water tanks for our next eastern states trip.

We spent 3 weeks travelling thru the wildflowers in August (starting from Coal Seam NP) and will be heading off again soon - benefit of being retired!

We like the free camping at Cosy Corner between Albany and Denmark. Another 2 good free camps north of Sandy Cape - Milligans Island and Cliff Head (both north of Greenhead). We also use our annual National Park access (purchase thru RACWA) for camping in those parks which have the facilities - like Yanchep NP and Hopeton between Esperance and Albany.

Glen

Sevvy

Sep 10, 2018
Mandurah W.A.
Crusty,
I agree about the Lancelin bit, the beach is great and if you want to drive on the beach and up and over sand dunes it is ideal. There were a lot of bull ants there.
They have just expanded the Sandy cape site, very popular, we were told, be in by lunch Saturday or miss out. There is a water tank there but not for drinking.
The cafe is great, a good coffee and bacon / egg roll for breaky, doesn't seem quite right , but most enjoyable.
Dunsborough is a paradise.

Glen
Thanks for the tips on restoration, I will get in touch with them.
We intend to go earlier next year for the wildflowers, we were a bit late this time.
Thanks for the camping spots, my boy is up there next week he may give them a go.

We will be getting an RAC parks pass, but we have a dog, restricted to which parks.

Sevvy

Reactions: Crusty181