Hi everyone

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hi just thought we would introduce ourselves.
our name Is Jim/Tab and daughter Diamond.
We just picked up our first jayco expanda on saturday from prestige jayco in bendigo
Its a 16/49/3b shower toilet.
We have been camping for years starting out with a tent then old sunwagon went on to a camper trailer when there was 6 of us camping
After 2 of the kids stopped coming along we bought a jayco hawk had that 5 years and were now over the wind up pull beds out thing.
we had a little windfall that allowed us to upgrade(well we wernt sure what to do)to something we wanted
what we wanted was beds up one end and couch at the other so if someone was in bed we wernt sitting right next to them
we wanted a shower /toilet so we dont have to pay $40+ a night for a shower
The ability to get into bed without climbing over a couch and having to jump up into bed were getting old 43
a windout awning so there no more poles/ropes/pegs
And of course theres so much cupbourd space .so far we cant fill it.
after heaps of research(and budget)expanda seemed to be perfect for us
we took it away saturday night to see how it all went.(love doing the beds)and was as good as we expected.
Kids at table drawing me cooking dinner and Tab doing dishes(i do them to)and we didnt have to squeeze past each other were so happy.
We love it so far and going to head of to Bright this weekend.
2 things i learned on the weekend make sure the daughter knows the rules of hitching he/she who lowers the jockey wheel makes sure the ball is hitched properly
drove 60ks with the hitch not locked.also my fault for not checking.
and make the drive way gates wider i unhitched and van rolled and hit the gate.lots of scratchy/grindy noises but only one tiny scratch.
Well thats it for now but were sure there will be heaps more for us to learn and hopefully help others with.
and hopefully meet other owners on our trips
cheers

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome folks. :wave: Sounds like you really researched your new van and made a good decision. It does pay to do a walk around before moving on.

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
Hi chartrock.
yes research night after night on the web and days spent looking at diferent vans.
we found what we wanted second hand but a new one was just as cheap.
cheers

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Welcome to the forum (from someone just down the road:) )

Did you deal with Kelvin at Prestige? He was our rep & was just as good as when we bought our Eagle, all those years ago.

I have a checklist (in my head, which doesn't help anyone else) and as Chartrock says, always do a walk around making sure I have "ticked all the boxes" before heading off. I learned my lesson on the Eagle one day when I missed disconnecting the trailer hand brake & wondered why we weren't going anywhere, lol.

Stew

Micky

Jul 15, 2011
Callala Bay NSW
:welcome: Jim, Tab and Diamond

I think we have all made some mistakes when just starting out. We had one little (fortunately) hiccup on our trip to Narooma only last weekend. Needed to level the van up on one side, so pulled it slowly up onto the levelling block - check sprit level....perfect. Then unhitched the van and you guessed it.......handbrake not on, wheels not chocked :help: van rolls nicely straight off the levelling block. Fortunately site was pretty level front to rear so she only rolled backwards about a foot, however if site had been sloped more significantly could have ended up in either a van rolling away from us into the distance or an A Frame embedded into the back of the Terry!! One mistake we will not make a second time!! Cheers Mick

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My learning mistake was when trading my first van for the second. I hitched at home, drove 15Km to the dealer, up the bump onto his driveway and the van uncoupled and dropped gouging a metre long groove in his concrete. The hitch had not been locked down but stayed connected until the final bump.

Now even my wife checks it has been locked down after I do my walk around. :fear:

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
In addition to the handbrake, I try to make it a rule that we don't unhitch until the chocks are in!

Yes, I to learnt the hard way - often the best way so long as no one gets hurt.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi ya Jim Tab and Diamond :welcome:

the biggest thing with dunny models is to ensure to valve is in the closed position before travel. better still dump it before. no I didn't learn the hard way.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome to another Hawk to Expanda convert (there a more than a few of us on here:))

Great intro, look forward to seeing some pics.