Heron 2.2 aircon in this heat

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi everyone. Down the south coast in nsw at the moment trying to stay out of this heat. Just curious to find out if anyone else with a heron a/c is having any luck cooling down their van. We are parked in direct sunshine so it's a big ask but our unit hasn't cooled down the van one but.

Would like to hear others experiences if theirs is the same.

Cheers
Mike

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
We're in W.A and just had a couple of weeks away and it was between 35-40 Deg and ours worked great in our 16ft. It also called down the annex at night when we left the door and top flap open on the annex side.
We were parked in partial shade and kept the van closed up as much as possible during the day.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks all, sounds like mine might need a regas. I just went over to another expanda 16 footer and it's was nice and cold

Appreciate all the comments

Cheers
Mike

fraserL322

Mar 4, 2012
Mike, when you run it, is the fan on the outside of the van under the big window coming on? Mine had a broken wire inside it, and it meant it worked for a minute or so before overheating and blowing warm air...see my thread about the broken resistor wire....

Cheers,

Fraser

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
We were in Bowen over New Years and ours worked a treat. Had to turn it down at night to stop kids from freezing. In bed ends during day naps for the kids we needed fans to push air about, but other than that works really well. Not sure if the roof mount would be any better.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Ours was fine down south and up the coast over our crissy break. You have to remember it isnt the most effivient air con and you have canvas at each end so it is never going to be a fridge. We flicked ours on at the start of the day and left it one. (Not paying for power).

We only had one issue at 2 in the morning on the really hot last Tuesday. The van was a sauna with the air on. When I looked it was frosted up causing a blokage of air flow. I switched the heater on for about 2 mins and it worked after that. It could be a faulty thermostat. But apart from that is seems ok.

However next van will have a roof top :ohwell:

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Gday Fraser,

Thanks for the input but mine is a rooftop model. I can hear the unit working as if its under load but it really wasnt cooling the van. Even at night when the outside temp was down to about 32 degrees. The van is going in for its service in about a week and Jayco are gonna look into it.

Cheers
Mike

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Ours does pretty well up to about 38 to 40 degrees. Once it goes over that it struggles. Deni at 45 it was unable to cope but in all fairness, the bitumen was melting! The direct sunlight just heat soaks the van. Once night came it cooled it down very well.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Problem solved, there was a hole in the plumbing and all the gas leaked out. Apparently has happened to a few of these rooftop hobbies.

Cheers
Mike

greggels

Aug 2, 2012
Sunshine Coast
Got my Air Con fixed today, the copper lines were incorrectly flared when it was installed and one of the flare nuts was loose allowing the gas to escape, my Air Con Guy, re-flared all connections and seated them correctly recharged, now working how it should.

It's a Heron 2.2 Spilt System

Cheers Greg