Heron 2.2 A/conditioner in a 16.49.1 Expanda

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi All,

We are just about to order our new Expanda 16-49-1 OB & are trying to decide if we should include the Heron 2.2 airconditioner in our order. I have read a few bad reports (not on here) about how noisey they are & that they are too small for that size van.
Was just interested in first hand experience with this unit before I go & order it.
We have travelled alot with our Eagle Outback without an A/C & don't mind the hot weather. We also intend to bush camp a bit where we couldn't use an A/C anyway. If it is not as good as you would expect might do without it & save some cash......

Any thoughts welcome, negative & positive........

Thanks in advance for any input

Paul...... PMK

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We had one in our last expanda and hardly ever used it. Personally I think they are more needed for resale than anything else, but others may disagree. Don't forget with the splits you also lose some under seat space as well.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
We had one in our last expanda and hardly ever used it. Personally I think they are more needed for resale than anything else, but others may disagree. Don't forget with the splits you also lose some under seat space as well.

I agree with Jims comments. I bought my expanda secondhand so didn't have a choice. If I was going new I would seriously consider not getting the AC. I would put the microwave in its place and get a bigger fridge.
Had my expanda about 18mths and used the aircond once. We have found its too noisey and a little under powered. We have used it as a heater a couple times but really a little room heater is probably better.

cheers
wizzer
16.49.1 2006

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I agree with the above comments. They are fairly noisy so I don't tend to use it much especially at night but I do find it effective when in use. However, we tend to just stay outside if it's too hot and at night just open up the van as much as possible.

They do help for resale, I'm not sure why because a lot of people think the same way. As for lost space, our motor unit sits in a cupboard that is almost impossible to access at the front corner under the sink so we don't lose a lot of space.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
What's the thoughts on the b2200 roof air, is it quieter? I checked it out at the show stand and thought so, but it wasn't inside a van

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Thanks All for your comments,

From your response & how we were thinking anyway I might delete the A/C & the money could be better spent on other options.

Paul PMK

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We had one on our last expanda and were very happy with it and so our new expanda has one fitted.
No better way to get a good nights sleep on a very hot night and we never found it too loud .

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
We had one on our last expanda and were very happy with it and so our new expanda has one fitted.
No better way to get a good nights sleep on a very hot night and we never found it too loud .

Thanks,

Would be a problem for us when we are bush camping without power & We're not the sort to use a generator either..........

We don't mind the heat so much & have been used to using 12 volt fans over the beds in our Eagle on hot nights, so I think we'll stick to that idea.

One of the attractions of the Expanda for us is the screens around the bed ends means beter ventilation on hot nights compared to a caravan where you are surrounded by solid walls.

PMK

ol'nissan man

Jun 23, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi PMK,
I haven't used the aircon for very long yet in my expanda, but it doesn't seem to be too bad! Although, in my opinion, any aircon is too loud in a caravan, particulary during the night when every noise seems to be magnified.
I have used the heater however, and it works fine!!!!!! used to carry a portable one but having the convenience of a fixed unit is great. (After all we're in the same town and it's colder more than it's hot!) You can come and try the unit in my van if you want - it's plugged in right now (it's my secret retreat from MasterChef and the renovation shows!)
Ol'nissan man

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Ol' nissan man,
Nice to see a local on here.
Thanks for the offer but I think we've mad up our mind not to fit one, the savings on the A/C can go to other options we would use more. Never having an A/C I rekon we'll be fine........ Maybe as we get older we might change our thinking.
Still, might catch up one day for a chat....... I'll post the progress of the delivery of our van & maybe we can compare notes when it arrives....

Paul

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hello PMK

I made sure I purchased an aircon for the simple fact that come resale the aircon could would add value.

Not just that but over here in WA we can get some hot spells and it pays to have one.

It also depends where you are travelling to and if it will be hot.

I wasn't really keen at the start but now I find the aircon a great luxury but not a necessity.

Over here in WA I thought that the air con units were standard in all vans.

Good Luck with the new van!

You wont regret it.

Skip

WA

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Thanks Skip,

Yep I agree it would add value at resale, but it also costs $1700.00 at purchase. We intend to keep this van for a long time anyway. The resale isn't something I am that concerned with.
We have travelled all over this wonderful land of ours in Tents & our Eagle Outback without an A/C for years & the heat at times has been extreme but we handled it ok anyway.
I like a bit of luxury these days as much as the next person thats why I'm upgrading to the expanda from an eagle. Unfortunatley our budget is limited & the A/C is a big expense I think we can do without.
Thanks for the wishes of Good Luck, I must say I cant wait to get it.

Paul

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Realise you made a decision but thought I would chuck this in the ring for any more prospective buyers :)

1) Heron 2.2 - Cupboard mounted and other half of it mounted under your seat (condensor bit), Blower heater (Not real aircon), Cool air con nice and cold kept the 16" fairly cold but did not extend into the bed ends. Was not to noisy and could be left on at night. Struggled in 35+ but reduced it enough to be comfortable. Note no remote control with this unit, the other thing is being in a cupboard it can be a bit restrictive to get the fins to point in the right direction.

2) B2200S - Roof mounted, good flow and able to manouver the vents around to get a nice even spread around the van. This unit kept the 17" cold as an icey pop but has a blower heater so struggled to warm the van up on cold nights. It does not get into the bed ends though just the van like the Heron. On 35+ it also struggled. Noise wise it was a bit noisy but it has a timer so you can set it to turn off at a certain time / delay from the remote. This was handy as you could get to sleep with it on but through out the night the noise was a bit much. Much preferred this to the Heron as it was roof mount so you did not loose any cupboard space and you could get it to give a more even spread of air flow given its mounted position. Power wise they seemed to both be on par but the B2200S was a little better given its flow abilities.

We are getting a different van now and was posed with the Coleman / Ibis model debate and have gone the Ibis model simply for the fact that it has a remote so the kids can turn it on and off without intervention where as the coleman does not have this just manual controls.

Hope this helps.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
which seat is it installed under? If the Dinette thing - do you hear much noise / vibration etc coming from the condenser if that seat is being used as a bed?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
G'Day Ol' nissan man,
Nice to see a local on here.
Thanks for the offer but I think we've mad up our mind not to fit one, the savings on the A/C can go to other options we would use more. Never having an A/C I rekon we'll be fine........ Maybe as we get older we might change our thinking.
Still, might catch up one day for a chat....... I'll post the progress of the delivery of our van & maybe we can compare notes when it arrives....

Paul

It's a bloody shame the vans arent made suitable to add AC later. I enquired about this, because I thought if it was something I could add later (roof air) I would, but they wanted $850 to put the heavier brace in the roof to accept an a/c later on!

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
I agree with Jims comments. I bought my expanda secondhand so didn't have a choice. If I was going new I would seriously consider not getting the AC. I would put the microwave in its place and get a bigger fridge.
Had my expanda about 18mths and used the aircond once. We have found its too noisey and a little under powered. We have used it as a heater a couple times but really a little room heater is probably better.

cheers
wizzer
16.49.1 2006

Just to add to this, yes we found ours noisey inside the van but it was even noisier outside.When the compressor would cut in you can hear it a fair way away. I was always conscious of this in parks so never ran it except for once when it was really humid up in coral bay.

cheers
wizzer

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Mate love ours we have two young kids and travel a lot in Queensland.
Never had problem, not noisey so I would recommend for sure

I agree mate same for us you would be mad not to have one. Heating and cooling I am not worried about the resale value yet I find it not noisey at all it just does the job nice

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
we have the herron wall/cuboard unit too, not all that noisy i thought and was quite enough to keep the heater running all night when in the chill of the outback, whilst as a heater it wont heat the van up as hot as a blow heater its great to leave on all night to keep warm.
As an AC i have not had it hot enough to give it a good test, we are heading up to Eden on the 12th and im hoping its wram enough to use it then!!
Cheers

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
The Heron 2.2 was standard in our 16:49:3 The compressor is under the dinette so it is a bit noisier in the front bed but the back bed is fine, ours has had more use at home when crawling around in the van in summer doing mods. Had a warm day here (in Albany)a couple of days ago and used it in the late morning for an hour or so and worked well, when the sea breeze came in just open up everything and that works great. Have used it more as a heater and it works really well, quiet and toasty warm, would I have another one if I bought another van ? Most definitely