Help with the 240 Inlet plug

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
can anyone help.

Just came back from holidays and when I pulled out the power plug i noticed the power lead was black and one the the poles for the 240 inlet had burnt out...does anyone know where I can get another inlet plug from with the quick connect plug except from jayco.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
can anyone help.

Just came back from holidays and when I pulled out the power plug i noticed the power lead was black and one the the poles for the 240 inlet had burnt out...does anyone know where I can get another inlet plug from with the quick connect plug except from jayco.
Thanks for that...

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good link....but interesting that RRP is $29.75 ....their price $29.76.

The joys of automated pricing.

That online outlet must be one of the multiples of the Jayco lolly shop....same format, same range of offerings.

I hadn't realised that they'd set up a few under different names...must be dealer differences?

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Good link....but interesting that RRP is $29.75 ....their price $29.76.

The joys of automated pricing.

That online outlet must be one of the multiples of the Jayco lolly shop....same format, same range of offerings.

I hadn't realised that they'd set up a few under different names...must be dealer differences?
No sure if they are linked to Jayco or not.

There are quite a few places that sell the CMS stuff that Jayco uses.

It's all plug and play so Jayco doesn't need an electrician, I guess other manufacturers do that the same.

I'm just waiting for them to add USB outlets to their power points like some of the others have done.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thought so....the website layout and product offerings are the same. I often check out the Brisbane camperland site to source prices etc so wondered how their online stores worked. Just sheer curiosity.

I'm guessing Jayco have an arrangement with dealers to keep the range and prices consistent throughput and in line with their lolly stores. So whichever state or area you look at, it's virtually the same.

I've been looking at rvpartsexpress and they have a different range...so more options.

As said, just sheer curiosity to check out how this growing market is being serviced. (Can't see any sign of collusion or price dictatorship...I was looking for that )

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was going to say thats Camperland but I was too slow......not a bad shop they have, prices are okay....................Caravansplus.com is my preferred shop for bits, good prices, quality and quick postage................................... I would say you probably had some water/dirt/cobweb around the socket and plug which caused the problem, had the pole melted at all, plastic bubbling ????? If so the plug on your lead is possibly stuffed as well and in fact could have caused the problem.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
I was going to say thats Camperland but I was too slow......not a bad shop they have, prices are okay....................Caravansplus.com is my preferred shop for bits, good prices, quality and quick postage................................... I would say you probably had some water/dirt/cobweb around the socket and plug which caused the problem, had the pole melted at all, plastic bubbling ????? If so the plug on your lead is possibly stuffed as well and in fact could have caused the problem.
Yep... the lead was burnt as well near the pole....I have since throwen the lead out and bought a new one...believe it or not bunings was the cheapest but $4....buntings price was $27.45 for a 15m 15 amp lead. HPM caravan lead..

Reactions: Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yep... the lead was burnt as well near the pole....I have since throwen the lead out and bought a new one...believe it or not bunings was the cheapest but $4....buntings price was $27.45 for a 15m 15 amp lead. HPM caravan lead..
Hi,
you can repair the lead. Bunnings also sell 15A inline sockets.

cheers
Mike

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I do have a problem with some of the cheap and nasty sub standard power cords available on the market

I have seen (with my own eyes - not hearsay) a "15A" power cord melt

when my mate (Electrical Engineer for a Mine Site) checked it

it was a 10Acable with 15A plugs on the ends..................brought from a well known shop

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's interesting. I'm currently (pun intended) replacing our ancient power cords following the great shed cleanup.

I noticed some were a bit ratty, some were very ratty so I tried to remember how long we'd had them. When I realised how old they were and how much use they'd had, I grabbed some cutters before I could have another attack of poverty, and cut them up and dumped them. At least I always use one of the circuit breakers when I use them.

Cheap if I consider the price of electrical accidents.

I'm sourcing them from the big green shed.....I hope that's not the one you referred to.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Last year ants in the socket on the post caused a burn out, I had to replace the 15 amp switch and cut the plug off the lead and replace it, mind you not the first time, have had a lead where the earth had a break somewhere in the line, gave you little tingles when you touched the chassis, thought the worst until using my meter I found it was the lead, side cutters out, chopped it up and pulled out the spare..............usually buy my leads, switches and bits from the Green Shed and haven't found any problems to date, but I do put the meter on all that sort of stuff before using to make sure someone hasn't got their wires crossed and arc's me up.....

cal32

Jul 15, 2018
sunshine coast
Hi

Is this easy to DIY and connect wires ? My lid and plate has perished so i think I have to get full kit and connect up . I have the CMS model IP 44. thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi

Is this easy to DIY and connect wires ? My lid and plate has perished so i think I have to get full kit and connect up . I have the CMS model IP 44. thanks

Yes it is fairly simple , you can purchase a new unit from auto spares, van shops etc for about $35 they should have instructions, but since you need to ask I would suggest contact someone who has done it or is familiar with doing this sort of thing or a sparky, for while it is simple to replace it is also simple to stuff up, in a van more so than a house, the active and neutral must be in the correct position along with the earth any error on the inlet socket won't trip the van RCD....

Depending on van you can sometimes view the rear of the socket from inside a cupboard behind a plastic shield..........

Of course whenever checking anything 240v always disconnect, pull leads before doing anything and if not able to test the circuit afterwards then leave it alone and get a sparky as it is a requirement for a licensed sparky to play with 240v...... requirements vary from state to state.............

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi

Jayco use CMS Electracom products. They are all plug n play, so you dont need a sparky to replace your mains, the connecting cables all come in "off the shelf" fitted off leads of various length, similar in concept to extention lead, only they have a tab to stop them from falling out. There are no exposed terminals or wires. My 12 year old could do it
20181026_104459-resized-1920.jpg
20181026_104616-resized-1920.jpg

Caravan points such as GPOs need to be double pole. They look normal but unlike house wiring both active and neutral have to switch off.

Youll find the mains connector your after online for $15. RV Parts Express used to deliver to your local Jayco dealer for free

Directly behind main connection, generally in a cabinet, should be a plastic cover protecting the rear of the connector.
20181026_104655-resized-1920.jpg

Youll likely have enough slack in the connecting cable to unscrew to mains from outide, pull it out with the cable attached, unclip the plug on the back, click the new in, seal it up and screw it back on. Easy breezy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Of course oh Cruddy Con, Jayco have plug an play fittings, how could I forget something that epitomises the KISS solution ............and one of the truly great Jayco cost cutting measures.