Interior Help needed from those who have raised Expandas bed end.

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
I have started raising the bed end in my 2014 14.4.40 Expandas to get rid of the very uncomfortable two thirds one third inner spring.
I hope to space under the aluminium framework rather than on top so I can get better storage height below.
I have loosened at the front and back of the frame and the back moves readily. The length sitting on the front veneered plywood however remains stuck.
My thinking is that there may be extra screws in behind the ends of the aluminium cross bars.
If this is the case I can access and remove. Problem solved.
If however the aluminium strip is glued to the ply then moving without damage to the veneer might be difficult.
Can anyone who has undertaken this modification let me know what fixing method they encountered.?

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
The ply veneer fits snug into the front of the frame. Just use a rubber mallet to give it a gentle hit and it should come out of the aluminum channel. there shouldn't be any screws behind the cross bars. Well there wasn't in mine when I raised the bed end.

Ken Bennetts

Nov 1, 2013
Thanks for the help.
Certainly was snug. Have it out and am now fixing to raise it.
Also working on the best choice for a split mattress. Have got a price from Slumberrest in Melbourne. My thinking is that it will be the same as the mattress I am throwing out. That one apart from the problem of rolling down into the zip was very uncomfortable.
Thinking more of going foam. I think we are a bit hung up on inner spring in Australia. Foam seems popular in the UK and Europe. The foam there may be superior to what we can obtain however. I might be wrong but am researching! Options.
Thinking that a high quality foam might be better than a base inner spring.
Always very happy with the beds in the swans we have owned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave_B