HELP!!! - Hot Water Unit flooded van

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
Probably tempering valve issue. If you pull PTR valve and water is hot, then HWS is OK it is then an issue of cold and hot mixing somewhere (normally tempering valve). Can even be as simple as if you have an outdoor shower, both taps may be on but the shower head is off.
water is hot coming out of ptr valve, so must be the tempering valve. Should of thought of that , had only just turned our house water up a bit as kids are older now and we wanted the water a bit hotter. Going out now to turn on panda's hot water and find the tempering valve. Could it be possible that it vibrates around to change hot/cold mix, because it has been fine up until last outing???? p.s. it's not the outdoor shower taps, checked that, but it affects the sink hot water as well.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for posting @zerosecta , I purchased a couple yesterday from Coast to Coast for $8 each as well as 4 clips as there were none fitted to the old connectors. Mine were not leaking but replaced just in case & like you said, they were tight.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
My new fittings arrived on Friday and I fitted them over the weekend. The old ones were not leaking but did the change as a precaution as well.

photo1.jpg

I was shocked, the old ones were plastic! :eek-53: IMO this is asking for trouble. Also as posted above they were TIGHT! I could not get them with a big shifter and of course it was 23mm and I only had a 22mm and 24mm spanner. I ended up getting them out with a pair of vice grips. So glad I did, the new brass ones seem a much better option.

photo2.jpg

Thanks again @zerosecta

Reactions: cruza driver

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
just order replacement brass fittings, thanks for the heads up, I don't want to come to a flooded van. Now just to work out why my hot water is not as hot as it used to be, still feels hot at tank fittings but comes out luke warm at sink and outside shower. Wife had to boil kettle to make water hot enough to wash up, and wants me to fix before next outing. Barney
sound like the tempering valve, they set them at factory to 45-50 deg i think thats legal limit at 50deg, we often get people asking for them to be adjusted upwards so they can wash dishes, but legally we can't go over 50. just be warned that if you do adjust it you may void your warranty for the water system on the van
if your looking for yours it's under the van close to the HWS, brass T shaped thingy with 3 pipes going into it.
hot-in, cold-in, and warm-out (the hot and warm should be red pipes) if it's gradually got colder it is probably faulty or blocked a bit no reason why you can't pull it out for a clean

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
sound like the tempering valve, they set them at factory to 45-50 deg i think thats legal limit at 50deg, we often get people asking for them to be adjusted upwards so they can wash dishes, but legally we can't go over 50. just be warned that if you do adjust it you may void your warranty for the water system on the van
if your looking for yours it's under the van close to the HWS, brass T shaped thingy with 3 pipes going into it.
hot-in, cold-in, and warm-out (the hot and warm should be red pipes) if it's gradually got colder it is probably faulty or blocked a bit no reason why you can't pull it out for a clean
yep, it was defiantly a lot hotter for the first 2 years of use, you had to use some cold mixed with hot for the out side shower and inside tap was a lot hotter according to the wife. Now just luke warm. Don't think warranty is now a problem. But will pull out and clean this weekend. Spent this past weekend mounting table under rear lid, kids boogie boards and water hose and popup shower tent under front lid, (copied mods,thanks) so can think of nothing better than playing under the panda this weekend. Measurement/quote tommorow for Aust. Wide Annexe. Its all happening. Must try and put a few photos up this weekend.