Hello All

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
My wife and I just sold our offroad camper to our son and his wife. We have been looking for a van - would love a super duper off road van BUT cost prohibitive and they all weigh so much.
Now looking at getting Expanda OB 16.49-3 with cafe seating. This gives us plenty of room inside (great sized table) plus a bed each (either one of us can then read in bed without disturbing the other).
My one concern is Jayco quality which from reading various postings elsewhere seems a bit hit and miss.
Any comments appreciated especially the ability of the outback Expanda to cope with dirt roads. Obviously drive to the conditions.

Cheers

Bill

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday Bill and welcome!!!!

We have had two new expandas and both have been great in quality some little fiddly things but the dealers fix everything and you can take it to any dealer.

I live in Sydney but had the van serviced and a few little things done to it in the Gold Coast no questions asked :)

In terms of full off road there is a post here some where, just found it

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/88-G-day-all...?highlight=broome

Have a read of that one :)!!!!

Good luck and let us know how you go in the decision making

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hi and welocme.

I picked up our new Expanda yesterday and yes the quality is questionable. But i had a Jayco before and knew what i signed up for. In the end, price and dealer/warranty support is amazing. So i have no complaints really. Good luck!

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Hi and welocme.

I picked up our new Expanda yesterday and yes the quality is questionable. But i had a Jayco before and knew what i signed up for. In the end, price and dealer/warranty support is amazing. So i have no complaints really. Good luck!

Yep we picked up our Expanda 14.44-4 Outback today. A bit disappointed with sealant finish on roof but knew what to expect after reading a lot about Jaycos on forums. Overall though really happy to finally get our van. As Moto said for the price and dealer back up/warranty we are happy with our choice.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thanks Expanda, Moto Moto, jbell6660 for your replies - very excited to look at the link you posted Expanda - looks like we will be able to do everything we want to - just have to drive to conditions etc - just as we did with the offroad camper (AORC Odyssey ZR - great piece of gear - but looking at easier setup and packup with van). Will be getting Simplicity suspension with our Expanda plus solar panels etc. Haven't finalised order yet - have 3 Jayco dealerships giving us prices - all keen for the business, even the one furthest away from us. Going to Newcastle tomorrow for another look at what we want and to get them to give final price - I keep finding things to add to base van - it's a worry!!
Expanda - do you have another van yet? I noticed on another post that you sold your last one??

Just have to convince my big brother that the Jayco will be OK - then again he didn't approve of the LR Discovery 3 TDV6S that I bought 5.5 years ago (till I let him drive it). The LR replaced a 3.8l petrol Pajero that I found just too thirsty - with camper trailer behind used about 20l/100km - LR about 12-13l/100km. LR has been almost fault free - will have no trouble towing an Expanda.

Very glad to have found this forum...thanks all

Bill

Fair-Dinkum

Jun 29, 2011
New Beith, Qld
Welcome Bill. I know what you mean about being like a kid the night before Christmas. We both felt that way when we ordered our van and continue to feel that way - especially with just a little under four weeks until we get our new van. We have had a Jayco before and had no complaints about the finish or the quality. Hopefully, we will find the same when we pick up our new 17.56-2 OB soon ....

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thanks for your comments Fair-Dinkum .......... van is ordered! I can post details if anyone is interested ....... I certainly am interested in seeing what others order with their van.......... and the mods they make ........ I have started a list of things to do with my one once it arrives (4 months approx.)......

Bill

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for your comments Fair-Dinkum .......... van is ordered! I can post details if anyone is interested ....... I certainly am interested in seeing what others order with their van.......... and the mods they make ........ I have started a list of things to do with my one once it arrives (4 months approx.)......

Bill

Welcome aboard, Bill. Have a look at Stone Stompers post with all his mods and your list will grow substantially.

Good luck with the new van. Enjoy the wait. :wacko: