Exterior Hard lid removal tips

fangios

Aug 13, 2022
Morninton Peninsula, Victoria
Hi everyone!

Just wonder if anyone has any tips for removing the hardlid on a 17.56-1 expanda?

When cleaning the van I discovered that some of the screws that hold the lid to the hinge have rusted away and the heads broken off, so need to remove the lid and replace the screws as well as reseal the hinge (which has probably been leaking and caused the issue)

The lid is very heavy and high, and needs to be held in the fully extended position while you slide it along the length of the van, my wife and I tried this and nearly killed ourselves and had to give up. Seems like maybe a 3 person job, and perhaps some kind of long platform would help to walk along while sliding it off?

Any tips would be appreciated

Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If I recall I used paint scaffolding and slid it laong the planks, plugged screw holes with glued wood slivers where the screws were loose..

Reactions: fangios

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ladders can do the same job or, and I can't remember it all that well but can you lift the lid, put a couple of ladders under it, maybe with chocks and then unscrew the track itself from van or lid, no sliding just lift off ladder stand when undone...