Hard Bed

bjkaz3

Apr 20, 2012
Melbourne
Hi,

We have a new Expanda 16:49.1 and we need some advice.

The foam mattress is really hard (rear bed), does it soften up? or is an inner spring mattress a better option?

On all of my years on computers this is my first forum entry.

Barry

druryfamily

Jan 22, 2012
Brisbane
Morning Barry and welcome to the forum!

We have inner spring mattresses front and rear and find them quite comfortable after coming from a Swan with foam (felt like I was lying on the floor!).

Regards,
Sean & Julie.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Barry and welcome,
I think it depends on what you're used to and what your expectations are.
We have a wizz bang pillow top mattress at home very soft and comfortable. Yet the foam in the vans is only 150mm thick or so, on a solid base board, so yes it feels quite hard comparatively. (But doesn't bother me)
You'll find a number of posts on here with differing opinions of the inner sprung and of the foam, so you're unlikely to get any one definitive answer. Most display models at the resellers will now have inner spring mattresses, so go to one and lie down on them for a while and see what you think.
As Barry mentions above, we also have the egg shell overlay which can be picked up from K-Mart, Clark rubber or other such stores.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi Barry and welcome.
We had the 16.49.1 but we had a good quality eggshell foam on both beds. The best sleep ever. We now have innersprings and yet to try them but still have our eggshell as backup!
Cheers Jenny

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Jenny I'd be putting your eggshell over the innerspring as well, I though the innerspring would be good after foam in our camper, personally think they aren't worth a pinch of cr..... damn zipper right under you.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
For us, we have foam matress, plus egg shell, plus woolen underlay. And so that it all folds up easy i just removed the smallest matress fold (an idea from Bushman, the ideas man!). We find this setup to be very comfortable.