Electrical Handy hints to improve the efficiency of cooling in a heat absorption fridge

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Drover , just had a good look at some of your original mod photos and thought about your thermostat for controlling fan operation for cooling the back of 3 way fridges. However, I am sure that over the years since you first started on fridge mods, you have improved your knowledge as much as I have. The thermo seemed to be placed on the tubing which has all the bumps and lumps on it and BEFORE the pipe dips down and enters the condenser (that part with all the fins!!), but perhaps it is the camera angle?

For those that don't know, when the solution of ammonia and water is heated and boils, the vapours of boiling water and super heated ammonia gas rise up the tube and go through a series of uphill twisted pipes. The water vapour condenses inside the tubing as it moves over minor obstacles (those bumps and lumps) on the pipe at the top. Those lumps and bumps are called water separators which help burst any water bubbles in the vapour, turning then into condensate (liquid) which flows back DOWN into the boiler area. That is why the pipe slopes upwards (a very important reason for leveling the fridge for proper operation) until it reaches the apex bend where it starts to slope downwards. This allows the max amount of water to be removed and indeed dried out in the lumps and bumps before the downward bend. At this stage, the ammonia is still a very hot GAS and after passing the bend at the top moves down into the condenser (without ANY water content) and into the finned area to be cooled where it changes from a hot gas to ammonia liquid. Where the tube enters the condenser, the pipe and fins will be very hot, but by the time it exits the condenser, most of the heat has been dispersed into the surrounding air and the pipe and fins are somewhat cooler. Having fans move the air over these fins greatly improves the removal of heat especially if exhausted to the outside without obstructions.
That is why one does NOT place the thermo BEFORE the pipe bends downward. The temperature at that point would still be just about the boiling point of water (100C) so you do not want to sense any temperature there. That area needs to be hot!!
The thermo should be placed as close to the entry point to the condenser as possible or at any point on the fins above the pipe. The closer to the entry point will require a hotter setting on the thermo whilst somewhere in the middle is the ideal as it allows some natural cooling to occur before reaching the thermo set temperature which turns on the fans. As the air temperature around the thermo drops, the fans turn off until temperature rises again. Having the spring clips to attach the thermostat to the metal surfaces does allow you to move the thermo to an that ideal position so that your fans are not running needlessly or coming on too late.

Most kits provide a 130F thermo which works out at approx 50C. I have tried out 55C, 50C and 45C and have found that 45C gives me the best results for my fridge fan cooling - not on all the time , but there when the ambient temp gets up around 30C. THIS MAY DIFFER WITH VARIOUS FRIDGES AND INSTALLATIONS. In my set up, my 120mm computer fans (one pushing air in at the bottom vent and one pulling air out at the top vent) are each rated at 92 cubic feet of air per minute so the amount of air moved is considerable, resulting in quick cooling and short operation of fans. Cost of fans on Ebay was approx $3.75 each, the thermos @$1.00each and the clips from Bunnings under $2.00.
Attached is picture of positioning of my thermo. Also pictures of INTERNAL fans to assist others. The bottom internal fan moves the cold air around at the bottom and prevents lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers etc from freezing (and the wrath of Mrs Boots!!). The top one moves the air over the evaporator plate preventing excessive ice build up in humid conditions. Both fans together help maintain an EVEN temperature throughout ALL of the fridge. Pictures of external fans and top deflector plate to improve cooling will follow soon.
More tips to follow shortly.

http://www.portablefridgesonline.com.au/how-3-way-fridges-work

Attachments

• 27 Jul 17 (2).JPG
    27 Jul 17 (2).JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 280
  • P1220045.JPG
    P1220045.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 297
  • P1220046.JPG
    P1220046.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 270
  • Fridge switch.jpg
    Fridge switch.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
The install manual for mine shows a max clearance between the rear of the fridge and wall so air movement is maximised through the fins (mine comes with 2 fans). The fridge has worked fine in +40 weather but I had it out for cleaning and decided to install a simple deflector seeing the gap was much wider than spec. I also lined some of the fridge cavity with car bulkhead insulation to reduce the heat transfer into the adjacent cupboards. Will report back after a few outings

Attachments

• IMG_20190305_103632.jpg
    IMG_20190305_103632.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20190305_103825.jpg
    IMG_20190305_103825.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 290
Reactions: mikerezny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
The install manual for mine shows a max clearance between the rear of the fridge and wall so air movement is maximised through the fins (mine comes with 2 fans). The fridge has worked fine in +40 weather but I had it out for cleaning and decided to install a simple deflector seeing the gap was much wider than spec. I also lined some of the fridge cavity with car bulkhead insulation to reduce the heat transfer into the adjacent cupboards. Will report back after a few outings

@jazzeddie1234 , the deflector from the top of the cooling fins to the top of the vent is the same way mine is set up. It ensures that all the hot air from the condenser cooling is expelled into the open air and not allowed to circulate around inside the fridge cavity. I still have a very good and well placed baffle attached to the wall of the van behind the fridge that extends to the cooling fins to ensure all the air from below passes through the cooling fins first. Mine works well with the two fans and I also had a chance to completely cover the inside of the fridge cavity with building insulation too, when I had to remove my fridge. Should do well!

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Drover , just had a good look at some of your original mod photos and thought about your thermostat for controlling fan operation for cooling the back of 3 way fridges. However, I am sure that over the years since you first started on fridge mods, you have improved your knowledge as much as I have. The thermo seemed to be placed on the tubing which has all the bumps and lumps on it and BEFORE the pipe dips down and enters the condenser (that part with all the fins!!), but perhaps it is the camera angle?

For those that don't know, when the solution of ammonia and water is heated and boils, the vapours of boiling water and super heated ammonia gas rise up the tube and go through a series of uphill twisted pipes. The water vapour condenses inside the tubing as it moves over minor obstacles (those bumps and lumps) on the pipe at the top. Those lumps and bumps are called water separators which help burst any water bubbles in the vapour, turning then into condensate (liquid) which flows back DOWN into the boiler area. That is why the pipe slopes upwards (a very important reason for leveling the fridge for proper operation) until it reaches the apex bend where it starts to slope downwards. This allows the max amount of water to be removed and indeed dried out in the lumps and bumps before the downward bend. At this stage, the ammonia is still a very hot GAS and after passing the bend at the top moves down into the condenser (without ANY water content) and into the finned area to be cooled where it changes from a hot gas to ammonia liquid. Where the tube enters the condenser, the pipe and fins will be very hot, but by the time it exits the condenser, most of the heat has been dispersed into the surrounding air and the pipe and fins are somewhat cooler. Having fans move the air over these fins greatly improves the removal of heat especially if exhausted to the outside without obstructions.
That is why one does NOT place the thermo BEFORE the pipe bends downward. The temperature at that point would still be just about the boiling point of water (100C) so you do not want to sense any temperature there. That area needs to be hot!!
The thermo should be placed as close to the entry point to the condenser as possible or at any point on the fins above the pipe. The closer to the entry point will require a hotter setting on the thermo whilst somewhere in the middle is the ideal as it allows some natural cooling to occur before reaching the thermo set temperature which turns on the fans. As the air temperature around the thermo drops, the fans turn off until temperature rises again. Having the spring clips to attach the thermostat to the metal surfaces does allow you to move the thermo to an that ideal position so that your fans are not running needlessly or coming on too late.

Most kits provide a 130F thermo which works out at approx 50C. I have tried out 55C, 50C and 45C and have found that 45C gives me the best results for my fridge fan cooling - not on all the time , but there when the ambient temp gets up around 30C. THIS MAY DIFFER WITH VARIOUS FRIDGES AND INSTALLATIONS. In my set up, my 120mm computer fans (one pushing air in at the bottom vent and one pulling air out at the top vent) are each rated at 92 cubic feet of air per minute so the amount of air moved is considerable, resulting in quick cooling and short operation of fans. Cost of fans on Ebay was approx $3.75 each, the thermos @$1.00each and the clips from Bunnings under $2.00.
Attached is picture of positioning of my thermo. Also pictures of INTERNAL fans to assist others. The bottom internal fan moves the cold air around at the bottom and prevents lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers etc from freezing (and the wrath of Mrs Boots!!). The top one moves the air over the evaporator plate preventing excessive ice build up in humid conditions. Both fans together help maintain an EVEN temperature throughout ALL of the fridge. Pictures of external fans and top deflector plate to improve cooling will follow soon.
More tips to follow shortly.

http://www.portablefridgesonline.com.au/how-3-way-fridges-work

Attachments
No pics happening for me Boots

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
No pics happening for me Boots

Yes @Crusty181 , I do not know what happened after I re-posted the story and pics to a new thread. I will have to contact the powers on this forum and see what they have censored out.
Anyway, a "closet Tech Head" like you probably has seen it all before, but for you here it is again. There will be more info coming to keep it all in the one place as the info tends to get lost with all the other threads according to @Drover.

Attachments

• P1220045.JPG
    P1220045.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 208
  • P1220046.JPG
    P1220046.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 27 Jul 17 (2).JPG
    27 Jul 17 (2).JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Fridge switch.jpg
    Fridge switch.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 242

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Its just poor Victorian Internet @Boots in Action , pics came thru good for us in QLD.........if he was meaning my pics well the slacka will just have to go to my old 14 thread....