Starcraft Gvm upgrade

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
got a call from our jayco dealer today he left this message on our answering mc van has been weighed and you have 400kg of payload , so i take it that our van has been made and sept delivery may now be early august ??? any ideas or can they work out weights before van is finished

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
hi,
If you go to the Jayco website and look up your model caravan, it will give you a rough idea of the weight of the caravan and ball weight. Obviously if you added options it will weigh more. I used their website as a guide to see what my caravan would weigh and it was pretty close. You can do a rough calculation to work out the ATM. Also bear in mind that the weights given are a guide only and does not include LPG or water. It does include the empty weight of the gas bottles.
Cheers
Nick

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
They gave me a print out of weights but i am not 100% convinced that they are accurate. If they managed to get the tyre and wheel sizes wrong, what else did they get wrong. Recommend that you buy a ball weight gauge to keep track of any changes as you carry out the obligatory mods and try loading the camper differently.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
400kg thats means with gas and water, bedding and clothes, a little bit of food you won't have any left for beer.................let alone add screens, barbie, matting and all the usual basic extras..................................just put masking tape over the compliance plate and ignore it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Before I picked up my Journey, I stipulated a Weighbridge certificate to be issued prior to pickup. This was done and after hearing some horror stories, I was surprised to find the tare was only 4 kg out. The ATM was calculated incorecty and was 34kgs out. All fixed with a new correct compliance plate. I was told that the caravans are weighed after they come off the production line, but who knows.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nobody ever checks them anyway other than to check serial number, if worried about weights then load you van with the basic van equipment, water, gas, screens . jack etc this is really your base line to see what extra stuff like food and clothes you can carry with you.
Your actually towing weight is governed by the GCM of your tug not so much the ATM of the van.

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie