greasing towball

bob husband

Aug 20, 2018
bribie island
how many grease the towball and hitch? it is my pet hate,juast bought my expanda and the hitch is like a greasy pork chop,every time i look at it I get black grease all over my hands and when I take it off I bump the ball and same black grease all over my legs,degreased it then waterblasted it clean again the a slight spray of silicone to dry it and slightly lubricate ,.................bob

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've experimented with running it dry as well as greased and while a messy pain actually prefer the greasy way, dry I can see score marks on the ball after a few thousand Kms while greased up no marks, I usually slam the ball cap over it soon as I lift hitch as I hate the damn messy crap, one day someone will shell out for a Mchitch and problem solved.......mind many slap half a pound of grease in the cup I just put a dob on the end of my finger in the cup and thats all that needed, it's not like trowelling on to a 5th wheel.

Reactions: bob husband

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While waiting for paint to dry I did a bit of a google on the subject, amazing the ideas some people have, the ball and hitch being self lubrication on one site tickled me but since the hitch contact to the ball is a small cup shaped bolt head sort of thing I doubt the cast hitch will lubricate, it's really what ever takes your fancy and as for dirt roads and dust chewing up your hitch, I haven't really noticed it on tow ball or trailer 5th wheels, plenty of dust hanging off the overspill of grease around the edges but not on the mating surfaces, if you don't give it a wipe every so often then you could have scouring......................plastic would be good so long as it didn't eventually work its way into the latch mechanism and jam it, never heard it doing it though .....................

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I have a UTE with drawers so as soon as I unhitch I remove the shackles and hitch and throw them in the draw for safe keeping - oh and in answer to the OP I used to use silicon spray every time, but when I have the van serviced they greased it up so now I run grease :)