Glass broken on cooktop

Jaffagre

Dec 23, 2012
Mackay Queensland
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to replace the glass under the gas burner / electric hot plate? It broke recently 5 minutes after I cleaned it. Shattered into a million pieces. image.jpg

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
How old is the appliance? It may be warranty. Shattered glass on/in cooking appliances is not uncommon.

Jaffagre

Dec 23, 2012
Mackay Queensland
Contact SMEG / Domestic. They did a recall on the cookers because of this issue. I am yet to have mine repaired (shattered after boliing a billy, i removed the broken glass, which wasn't easy!)

The issue is that some electric elements were too close to the glass, causing it to shatter.

Domestic / SMEG will arrange for the repair to be undertaken by Jayco or another repairer.

Thanks AJC, is there a warranty period, or does that not apply as recall? Thanks,

Tiger

Jan 16, 2013
Frankston, Vic
Hi Jaffagre, the same thing happened to our previous van Discovery Outback, I thought the missus busted it while cooking some spaghetti Bol went off like a shotgun, had it replaced ok, apparently there is a spacer or packer that wasn't installed which caused it to shatter when heated, good luck with the replacement.

Reactions: Jaffagre

Jaffagre

Dec 23, 2012
Mackay Queensland
Thanks Tiger, ours went off the same way, scared the crap out of me because I had just cleaned it a few minutes before and was in the process of cleaning the other side! I meant to give Dometic a call today, but ran out of time, have to call on Monday. Thanks

Reactions: BJM

Jaffagre

Dec 23, 2012
Mackay Queensland
Just to let everyone know, I contacted SMEV on the number AJC provided (thanks), and no problems. They gave me the number of their local agent in Mackay. I called them and booked a time to get it repaired. When it came time, I presented them with the original van receipt from the previous owner, and that was it. All fixed, and extremely happy! Just hope it doesn't happen again.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Anybody with the Dometic 401 4 burner stove 3 gas 1 electric,tell me if black glass top stays open with spring tension,ours under no tension at all .Will fall down easily.I know they have spring hinge replacements,do you have to remove side trims on the stove to replace hinges.The side trim seems stuck on even after screws removed.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
No, they don't have any spring tension. Jayco mount a small plastic lever that is meant to keep it from falling. This is not much of a success since we have a Penguin and it doesn't take much of a breeze to blow the walls in and push the lid down.
Here is a picture showing the white catch on the left-hand side:

In case you haven't found out. There are two sensors on the lid. The lid needs to be fully up otherwise the 240V is cut to the electric hotplate and the gas is cut to the burners. I don't know if it also cuts the gas feed to the grill.

take care
Mike

MG_4619-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Thanks Mike ,just the info needed.Will make up a catch to keep it up.At around $350.00 might be an expensive meal if it drops.!Why I thought it had spring tension is new hinges appear tohave springs in them.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
No, they don't have any spring tension. Jayco mount a small plastic lever that is meant to keep it from falling. This is not much of a success since we have a Penguin and it doesn't take much of a breeze to blow the walls in and push the lid down.

In case you haven't found out. There are two sensors on the lid. The lid needs to be fully up otherwise the 240V is cut to the electric hotplate and the gas is cut to the burners. I don't know if it also cuts the gas feed to the grill.

take care
Mike

View attachment 65539

Like you @mikerezny , I too have a Penguin. The white catch on the left hand side has two positions and must be pushed back completely at right angles to lid to engage a small locking protrusion. In the 6 years I have had this campervan, I have never had the lid fall despite high winds or airflow through van. I have however found that if lid is NOT locked FULLY back, there is no gas flow or 240 volt power. Only after disconnecting gas lines and a lot of swearing to check that all was working was the error of our ways of not locking the lid fully back found.

Reactions: mikerezny

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

take care
Mike

View attachment 65539
@BJM I have the oven version of the stove (pictured above) and the lid is definately spring loaded into the open position. Would seem odd the stove only version per Mike wouldnt be blessed with the springs.

Our oven was trashed by a combination of 1000s km of corrugations and Jaycos horrendously inadequate mounting structure. I had to virtually rebuild it, so had the springs in my hand The springs are inserted in either end of the lid base.

Reactions: WHHEMI

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
@BJM I have the oven version of the stove (pictured above) and the lid is definately spring loaded into the open position. Would seem odd the stove only version per Mike wouldnt be blessed with the springs.

Our oven was trashed by a combination of 1000s km of corrugations and Jaycos horrendously inadequate mounting structure. I had to virtually rebuild it, so had the springs in my hand The springs are inserted in either end of the lid base.
Hi,
I will have a better look when I put the roof up this week to let some fresh air in.

take care
Mike

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Drover , I saw those springs thats when I thought the lid should, stay open.Unscrewed the side trims thought they and the lid would pop out easily ,no such luck.Stove and cooktop have the same part numbers .Our cook top lid doesnt lean back far enough as thick front window frame is in the way.Looks like there was an urgent recall for these glass lids around 5 years ago,were shattering without good reason.May go to Bgs and get a nice hook.Sitting here in Dalrymple CP ,Charters Towers.now know where all the new LC200s are six in our row ,no Js ,numberof BTs and Rangers.One brand new pimped up Colorado ute guy said he got a bargain all the gst off.Wouldnt want to keep it too long !

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had a check of mine and it certainly seems like gravity holds it as it only leans back a fraction and holds, no feel of a catch holding it at all, the springs must just give it a slight bit of tension, possibly the position of stove/window is your problem, may need a weighted drop catch off wall to hold it..???

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
ok, I have had a good look at my stove.

The springs on the hinge assemblies provide friction only. The lid on my stove will stay in any position that I leave it in.

The little white clip on the LHS is to help ensure that the lid can be locked in the fully open position.
Presumably, so that the gas and electricity safety cutouts are not activated. Since the Penguin has canvas walls this is about the only thing they can do to stop the wind pushing the wall in and then pushing the lid down and turning the gas and electricity off.

take care
Mike