Getting the height of your tow ball correct.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have had an interesting learning experience this weekend.
A couple of weeks ago, I swapped over the standard Nissan towbar for a Hayman Reese. The new towbar sat about 65mm higher. So I then dropped the towball on the WDH set up by an equivalent amount.

I then Replaced the tyres with a larger chunkier set. This again raised the car but I thought surely that small increase in height would not make a difference.

So this weekend we went to Yea caravan park. There is a windy section of road going through the Yarraglen and Tollangi state forest. On the way up the entire setup did not tow as well. The van swayed more and the best way I can describe it was that it felt like the van floated behind the car much more than I was used to.
Before returning from Yea I adjusted the towball on the WDH down again by a single adjustment. It would have been no more than 20mm. But that little bit just returned the towing to a much more solid feel. The small feels of swaying stopped and I was much happier.

I am now on the lowest setting for the towball, but learnings out of this would be when setting this up to try the one higher and one lower settings on the towing setup to get the feel just right.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The trouble is we set WDH based on the vehicle in a stationary position. But when we drive, the forces acting on the van through the hitch set up is very different. This is made more obvious in locations are you described - windy and maybe hilly. The angles start to change and the van feels different and doesn't sit right, as compared to maybe long open stretches.
When I had the WDH, after my first trip with it, I made sure the shifters where in to adjust it as necessary too. There doesn't always seem to be one position only as best...

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
I am having the same issue also my drop neck is already as low as it can go and the van is sitting up at the front a little still but I have noticed the tow ball is on an angle forward it is still on setting 1 on the cams. Can you get much adjustment out of changing the cam settings?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Perhaps you need to swap the neck over. There are longer ones that may be better and give you more options to lower further.