Gawler ranges national park

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
has anyone taken their van in there? Says caravan accessible but not very clear in how far in

Trying to figure out how long to spend there and if we have to camp far away or if we can get the 18' in the park

Any help appreciated

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
best contacting the ranger?
We went in without the van early 2016. Old Paney Scenic Route is 2 wheel drive suitable, so no issue with van. I'd assume Yardea Road is the same.
We took a few of the offshoots -
Organ Pipes; Parts were really just two wheel ruts with low over hanging branches, other parts wide open. A few big drips and tight twists. I think a camper would be ok, but would be hesitant with a large van.
Stone Dam, no problem
They do suggest a 4wd with high clearance for the tacks, but will also depend on the season...

Attachments

• main road 1.JPG
    main road 1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 289
  • main road 2.JPG
    main road 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
  • ogran pipes wide open area.JPG
    ogran pipes wide open area.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 276
  • stone dam.JPG
    stone dam.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 283

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
thanks heaps @straydingo we will be there christmas holidays, so tracks should be dry sounds like getting the van into one of the free camps shouldnt be an issue and i have the dmax which should do the job nicely :)

what do you think 2 nights in there? or 3?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
all depends what you intend to do there.....
There will be little water so the falls unlikely to be flowing. Again check with the ranger, I think they close areas over summer - it was very hot when we were there, (compared to Streaky Bay where we were staying) no wind, and little shade. We spent maybe 5 hours in there at Organ pipes, the dam, Panny homestead, Shearers quarters etc. (a 30-40km trip really). I can't comment on the northern tracks or 'activity areas'.
I want to go back again for longer next time, but not in summer.

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
all depends what you intend to do there.....
There will be little water so the falls unlikely to be flowing. Again check with the ranger, I think they close areas over summer - it was very hot when we were there, (compared to Streaky Bay where we were staying) no wind, and little shade. We spent maybe 5 hours in there at Organ pipes, the dam, Panny homestead, Shearers quarters etc. (a 30-40km trip really). I can't comment on the northern tracks or 'activity areas'.
I want to go back again for longer next time, but not in summer.
unfortunately i am kind of restricted to big trips being in summer due to work commitments the heat may be an issue... maybe i'm better off going to streaky and doing a day trip there or maybe just do the 1 night... maybe i'll touch base with the ranger and see their thoughts.

thanks again mate, really appreciate it :)