Gas strut stuck

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Hello All,

I've been travelling around the top end and back through the east coast with no problems at all with the 16.49.3, until today.

After 25 days on road, one of the gas struts on the front door assembly locked up so when I opened the lid it pulled the screws out of the fibre glass on the lid frame !.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair this mess?

It's under warranty but with the weekend coming up I would like to get a wriggle on.

Cheers,
Rowdman.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Maybe disconnect this strut completley.
If one strut is not enough try using an annexe pole or length of wood to support the lid.

Cheers

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Hey thx guys - I ended up fixing it myself.

Turns out the strut had dust in it so I lubricated it, got it moving and reattacched it with some chunkier screws alongside the old holes.

I must have taken some of the red centre with me !

Anyway, better get back to the trip, we are in FNQ now.

Cheers and thx again.

Rowdman

Mar 14, 2011
Thanks Cruza Driver and Moto Moto. The trip has been great and the Expanda hasn't really skipped a beat. It's the first time we've taken it on a trip like this and it certainly won't be the last.

This is our route;

Melbourne
Mildura
Port Augusta
Coober Pedy
Erldunda
Yulara
Watarka
Alice Springs
Tennant Creek
Mataranka
Katherine
Darwin
Jabiru
Katherine
Daly Waters
Barkly Homestead
Mt Isa
Hughenden
Townsville
Airlie beach
Rockhampton
Lake Monduran
Brisbane
Moree
Dubbo
Wagga
Melbourne

We have squeezed it into 6 weeks (due to work committments) so there has been quite a few places we saw that we said we would have to return to.

The caravaners we have met along the way have been great too. Usually much more experienced than us and willing to have a yarn and give advice etc.

Anyway, better go get some sleep as I have some driving planned.