17' Series Gas Leak

vasco pyjama

Oct 18, 2014
I concur Drover have had BBQ gas bottles where the reg is lower and never had a problem and anyway still don't think it should leak like that irrelevant of the regulator position

rags

With the bbq bottle the rego is connected directly to the pol outlet rather than below it. With the vans the rego is usually connected to the bottle via a pig tail or hose ,if this rego is below the pol outlet then liquid can draw down, remembering the gas is in a liquid state up until the rego

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
With the bbq bottle the rego is connected directly to the pol outlet rather than below it. With the vans the rego is usually connected to the bottle via a pig tail or hose ,if this rego is below the pol outlet then liquid can draw down, remembering the gas is in a liquid state up until the rego

It certainly is not, yes the bottle has liquefied gas in it but the only way you would get that liquid to the regulator is if the bottle was mounted upside down.

vasco pyjama

Oct 18, 2014
So had the gas plumber come over and installed new regulator that I received from caravan land in perth and it looked like a better quality one than the last , he done a full leak test throughtout the van and all came up good , quizzed him over having the regulator being lower than the bottles and he said should be no problem and that regulators fail quiet often so pays to keep an eye on them.
Cheers Vasco

Reactions: Drover

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Had quiet a dangerous experience whilst camping at the Fortescue river on the weekend in our 2014 17.56 outback expanda , we set the fridge to gas mode and set up the webber q to knock up a feed in the arvo all was good until the morning when we noticed the fridge was off which was a bit strange as both gas bottles where full prior to leaving , when I checked they where empty so the alarm bells rang , plugged my mates bottle in and discovered that gas was releasing from the regulator all as I can say is lucky no one was injured or killed as it was leaking all night, couldn't smell it as it was fairly windy but next day could detect it easily. Just thought I would let you all know for next time you head off , must be a faulty part and have let Jayco know .
Cheers Vasco

We had a similar issue on our last trip. Ours was caused by the Weber being turned on (but not lit) which leaked out the entire cylinder overnight and caused the fridge to stop.

Would be good if you could have some sort of alarm on the fridge to go off if switched to gas and the flame goes out.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
We had a similar issue on our last trip. Ours was caused by the Weber being turned on (but not lit) which leaked out the entire cylinder overnight and caused the fridge to stop.

Would be good if you could have some sort of alarm on the fridge to go off if switched to gas and the flame goes out.

My fix for the Weber problem.
2015-05-15 20.44.22.jpg
a stop cock fitted. A bit more of a positive way to turn it off.