Just Browsing Gas Bottle Usage

Buch

Nov 4, 2015
Perth, WA
Thinking about removing one of our gas bottle and replacing with a dual jerry can holder. We have had the van for just over 6 months and noticed that our gas usage is minimal. Just want to get an idea of how long a 9kg bottle lasts people that are on the road constantly.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Did you see what I did? Two gas bottles + 2 JC holders.?
We ran out of gas half way thru our last big trip (did not fill up before we left as we knew we had the second bottle) also use a bit more when HWS and run the BabyQ from the external gas point to do roasts etc.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/a-frame-basket-in-lieu-of-spare-tyre.4815/
image.jpeg

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
We use 9kg bottles for our house instant hot water and a bottle generally lasts around 20 days for a family of 4.
On the caravan we replaced the twin 9kg with twin 4.5kg bottles.
Lots of variables will effect usage including water temperature if you have a water heater. Also whether you use the electric heater and gas to recover faster or gas on its own if free camping.
Do you run your fridge on gas?
Regardless on size of bottle I would rather have 2 small ones than one larger one of similar total capacity.

Reactions: Delano and WHHEMI

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Our first gas bottle lasted nearly 12 months most of our trips away (9 weeks) was in caravan parks mostly. The second lasted 2 weeks free camping.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
it depends on how you are camping.

If you're using parks with power, then you are only using gas for the stove and perhaps BBQ, so we have achieved 12 months out of our first cylinder with quite a few trips.

More recently we have been free camping, and with the fridge, hot water, stove and BBQ all running on gas, we find we are able to go through a cylinder in a couple of weeks.

Having the twins is a really good way of ensuring you never run out.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
One bottle lasts us over three weeks free camping....but we could shower more frequently!

Washing up gets done when needed and BBQ used often.

I've been really surprised how little gas we've used when off the grid.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Buch

Nov 4, 2015
Perth, WA
We have only done small trips so far and use the gas mainly for the hot water system and BBQ. Tend to run the fridge on gas for the first hour or so on site (definitely seems to be the most efficient) then on power when ever we can so not sure what the consumption is but doesn't seem too bad. We are about to do a 2-3 week run and will be doing half free camping and half powered sites so pretty confident that one full bottle should see us through and will have reasonable size towns in most areas every few days.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It should do ...I forgot I add we run our 150l fridge on gas in that three weeks. So.... Fridge , hot water, BBQ, stove sometimes.....on a 9k bottle. We do supplement it with a small portable gas stove with the canisters.

If you're not sure if it'll be enough, monitor the gas level in bottle.

Gas fuse, stick on level, or plain old boiling water dribbled down the side of bottle will give you an indication of how much gas you have left.

Nothing beats free camping IMHO ...worth the effort.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
If you're not sure if it'll be enough, monitor the gas level in bottle.

Gas fuse, stick on level, or plain old boiling water dribbled down the side of bottle will give you an indication of how much gas you have left.

Nothing beats free camping IMHO ...worth the effort.

I picked up a Truma gas level guage at the Sydney show earlier in the year.

very quick and simple fool to check your gas level

Reactions: bigcol and twscoot