Electrical Full test of Thetford 93l 3 way fridge in my Penguin

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
For a long time now I have wanted to complete a REAL test on the ability of my fridge to operate in hot conditions. I had my chance a short time ago and the results are very interesting in how the fridge copes with starting to cool and also when loaded with the necessities to go away off grid for a 5 day break. I also had purchased a wireless digital thermometer with two separate sensors so I could record both freezer temps as well as fridge temps at the same time without opening fridge itself. Ambient temp is also recorded so conditions are shown. It is about as scientific as I could make it and I have set out all the parameters that could have a bearing on operation. There are probably others too!!
It has been discussed in earlier posts the importance of having fridge level and also the fact that the freezer takes precedence in the whole cooling process. This is clearly shown in the attached chart. (See difference in freezer vs fridge temps in first few lines on initial cooling) . Also note that the freezer section is not too drastically affected when food is placed inside for the first time (see lines where food has been loaded). So the freezer will always keep things frozen no matter what the ambient temperature. The fridge section is subject to the amount of cooling available after freezer makes sure it stays freezing. This will vary no doubt on the size of freezer and fridge compartments.
It definitely takes time to pull the temperatures right down (overnight is the best), but also reducing the time door is open is important. Note in these tests the door/s are not opened at any time, a bit unreal, but the only way to get proper results. Also, the ambient temperature at the time was very high and was still high overnight too.
Other things to consider are the fact that my fridge has two small computer fans internally to distribute and move the cool air around , and the cooling of the rear of fridge is assisted by two 120mm computer fans thermostatically controlled. I hope some members find this of value when operating their 3 way fridge. Comments are welcome.

Also, I have attached link for thermometer I used to monitor temperatures for around $20.00 on Ebay and very handy.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-Digital-Audible-Alarm-Refrigerator-Thermometer-with-2pcs-Sensor-AU/352720889461?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=460e1ba05f6d4abd989da3435dcb7f44&pid=100005&rk=3

Caravan Fridge Test.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Very detailed and concise as we expect from you Booties now what about when the grandkids are camping with you ?????

All that lovely cold gone in a micro second................... Be interesting to see how my chiller box would go.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Very detailed and concise as we expect from you Booties now what about when the grandkids are camping with you ?????

All that lovely cold gone in a micro second................... Be interesting to see how my chiller box would go.

Thanks again @Drover. I do try to make my reports accurate all the time. Correct about opening door to fridge/freezer and letting in all that very hot ambient air at 35C. It takes a fair while to recover from that sort of unnecessary action!! Fortunately my 4 Grandsons are older now - 2 do not go camping with me, or at all now, whilst the other two from my younger Daughter camp in their parents' Discovery and the attached annex when we are able to go away together. Very happy to have them come over to our Penguin for breakfast and after dinner, but they are well mannered/disciplined enough to not try to go into our fridge in the van or the one we have outside for drinks and extra supplies. So not likely to ever be a problem fortunately.
Only able to accurately do these tests is with the wireless dual sensor thermometer. If the freezer passes "the ice cream test" as you put forward in an earlier post some time ago when you dropped sensor into the drip tray, then you can be assured that the fridge is working okay. However, if you can spare about $20.00, you too can have a more reliable temperature check for both freezer and fridge. More fridge experiences and maintenance issues to come. Cheers