Interior Front Bed End - expanda

Bongle

Sep 19, 2014
Tom Price
Picked up our new Expanda outback 14.4.4 and we are finding folding up the bed end to be difficult. The mattress dosent fit inside the tent bar. This dosent seem to be right as the bar won't come down flat as it compresses on the mattress. It can be forced in putting a lot of pressure on the bar and mattress. Our mattress is a 50/50 split. Has anyone come across this?

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Howdy, I've got a 14.44.4 & the mattress fits between the tent bar on either side.. We even have a mattress topper & leave it on when closing it up.. Do you have foam or innerspring?

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Yep put the bar between the two halves of the mattress then fold. At least I think that's how it is done - swmbo does the inside while I do the outside.

BJ.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have a similar problem occasionally.........

the mattress sometimes "moves" towards one end of the bed........
just "punch" the mattress in on the end its sticking - you will feel which one.......

Bongle

Sep 19, 2014
Tom Price
It's the inner spring mattress both sections are identical in size. Tried every which way inside mattress it can t be done with any bedding at all . We have to bend the mattress to get it inside the bars and the inner spring doesn't give much. Got so frustrated I put it on the floor for a short trip to sort it out when we got home. Really regret we didn't get them to fold it out and show us when we picked up van it was strapped up folded !!
Thanks

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
with those 1/2 mattresses, Im not sure of the length...........
but if you managed to "un fold" it - it should fold.........

it may be that you have to strip the bed, for it to fold up............

Bongle

Sep 19, 2014
Tom Price
with those 1/2 mattresses, Im not sure of the length...........
but if you managed to "un fold" it - it should fold.........

it may be that you have to strip the bed, for it to fold up............

We are struggling to fold it with no bedding as the length of the mattress stops it...and we just don't understand why it should be so hard as it seems other expanda owners mattresses fit in the folding bars.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 533

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
My new van also seems to have this issue (both ends), takes far too much effort to fit the mattress between the poles as it folds down. Never had this issue with the last van. Seems to me they've made the mattress about 2-3cm longer than it should be. I'm hoping the mattress loosens up a bit with use and gets more flexible and the problem goes away, but I think I'll make note of it with the dealer so it's on the record!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the join in the middle @Bongle is that a zipper??
is it zipped up???

only thing I can think of is..............

fold the mattress,
put the 2 straps on, very VERY tightly
take out the hockey stick - (holding the canvas roof up)
take that end bar, and physically (from the inside) pull it down OVER the mattress
maybe have to pull / push / punch / kick / scream at it to get it over the edges

then go outside (screaming more is optional) push the canvas up, and fold the ends of the canvas towards the middle

then push the whole bed up

Yep put the bar between the two halves of the mattress then fold. At least I think that's how it is done - swmbo does the inside while I do the outside.

BJ.

I dont think the bar goes between the mattress halves - but I could be wrong...................

Last edited:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
@Bongle your mattress appears to be a custom made one as its a 50/50 split. It could be made slightly longer than an original.

If you can get the matress folded with the canvas support bar pulled down over the ends of the mattress then strap it tight. Then push the mattress towards the inside of the van as such. Also strip the bed to compress the mattress as much as possible

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I found leaning on the mattress when you do the straps up, you can get them really tight
enough for the ends to "kick up" towards the center.....

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:LOLASTWBHWGE (Laughing out loud and slapping thighs with both hands,whilst giggling embarrasedly) :)

I have had this issue more times than I care to admit to and glad that someone else had the courage to ask, because I sure as hell didn't want to.

I must have been daydreaming at handover, or not listening more like, as I repeatedly struggle to get it right. What looks so simple usually ends up in dramas, sweaty palms, repeated filling of swear jars and the drive out of the caravan park is quite often done in silence with the Dragon pointing out that I have inherited way too many of my father's angry genes.

I think I have got it right now, but do admit to ripping the entire mattress out and slinging it on the floor in something that resembled a 2 year old's tantrum once. That one was deservedly more than 30 minute's silence .....

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I must have been daydreaming at handover, or not listening more like, as I repeatedly struggle to get it right. What looks so simple usually ends up in dramas, sweaty palms, repeated filling of swear jars and the drive out of the caravan park is quite often done in silence with the Dragon pointing out that I have inherited way too many of my father's angry genes.

I think I have got it right now, but do admit to ripping the entire mattress out and slinging it on the floor in something that resembled a 2 year old's tantrum once. That one was deservedly more than 30 minute's silence .....

I think you only throw a wobbly to get peace and quiet so you can listen to your ABBA CD's on the drive home mate...........................

Reactions: dagree

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Sorry your pic explains your issue. I misunderstood. Can't help you. Ours fits nicely with sheets and blanket. Being a 50/50 though it doesn't sound standard mattress for Jayco

BJ.

Reactions: Bongle

Bongle

Sep 19, 2014
Tom Price
Yes already had the screaming and the tantrum and the mattress flew down the hall of the van pretty quick !! it can be done with lots of effort . Its got the zipper in the middle and have it zipped up if the mattress doesn't free up it is going to be difficult it's 3 cm to wide . Had a look at a couple of friends 14.44.4 last models, before we locked it in and they never had this problem with bedding on .Thanks will try all your tips tomorrow, due for its first service next week so we hope it will be sorted or get them to do the demo.

Reactions: bigcol

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Hmmm our 2014 14.44-4 has a 50/50 matress as well and I struggle to get it folded up and strapped down with the frame. Must be a change they have implemented down the production line.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
most definitely ask the question when you take it in..................

although

the 2 piece mattress is far better than the 3 piece.............
2 piece - 50/50 of the bed
3 piece - 75/25 of the bed.....................................................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We are struggling to fold it with no bedding as the length of the mattress stops it...and we just don't understand why it should be so hard as it seems other expanda owners mattresses fit in the folding bars.
If the other end of your mattress looks the same as that pic, thats a factory fault. You have either the wrong mattress or Jayco have ordered the wrong mattresses and decided you can live with it. Either way get them to provide/order/swap/make one that suits the van.

If it doesnt fit, fold and close..... exactly like all the other Expandas they have sitting on display, its wrong and theyll replace it .... but possibly only if you bounce them a little.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
So glad to have seen this post linked on another page. I've got the 3 piece mattresses and ours look like the picture shown above, and also struggle shutting the bed ends. To the point where we don't know if our table will fit under one of the ends as the bed base doesn't sit flushed with the end. (I'm sure the latch on the back bed will snap off soon from the strain)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree