Fridge voltage

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Just a quick question to the Electrically Enlightened. I threw a multimeter on my fridge today and discovered the following: Fridge off voltage at back of fridge ~12.5 car off, Fridge on voltage at back of fridge ~10.5 car off, Fridge on voltage at back of fridge ~11.5 car running. My Anderson, that the fridge plugs into, is running off my AUX battery in the car and I have seen this at ~14.1 with the car running at the Anderson. Is is normal and acceptable?

I kinda have a plan to run the fridge off the house battery and put some 6 B&S in to charge the house battery from the Anderson. That way I can also use the Anderson for the folding solar panel. But that's tomorrows challenge.

dan

Dec 4, 2012
G'day yes that is normal but by no means ideall,mine was simular 13.8v at car anderson plug 11.7 at fridge with it running there is a lot of voltage drop over that distance with small cable and large current draw.your on the right path with the mods you have mentioned cheers Dan

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Further to that has it been anyone's experience that even when made cold beforehand (gas or 240v) the 12v dc has kept it cold for a day behind the car. Oh this is a 150l fridge by the way.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Just a quick question to the Electrically Enlightened. I threw a multimeter on my fridge today and discovered the following: Fridge off voltage at back of fridge ~12.5 car off, Fridge on voltage at back of fridge ~10.5 car off, Fridge on voltage at back of fridge ~11.5 car running. My Anderson, that the fridge plugs into, is running off my AUX battery in the car and I have seen this at ~14.1 with the car running at the Anderson. Is is normal and acceptable?

I kinda have a plan to run the fridge off the house battery and put some 6 B&S in to charge the house battery from the Anderson. That way I can also use the Anderson for the folding solar panel. But that's tomorrows challenge.

The reality is that 12v dc pretty well sucks when it comes to long cable runs, so your readings are not that unusual. While i have not measured the voltage to our (150lt) fridge i am sure it would be about the same. The longest we have travelled on 12v is about 5 hours including about 45 min for a lunch break and the fridge had no problems staying cold and even kept the frozen items solid as well. The key things are to run it on 240 for a day or two before you leave and don't add a whole lot of warm items just before you leave. When on the road keep fridge access down to a minimum, if you are planning a break along the way make sure you pack any items you may need at the front so you can get at them easily.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yep 7.5hr trip and still frozen solid in freezer! Van has 6b&s to fridge (186L) 6mm twin to 12 pin socket.

Cheers.