Fridge Thermometer

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Recently picked up a dual zone fridge thermometer, mainly for the new house fridge and it will end up in van when on the road, replacing the single zone one used at present... Looked at the same type on Ebay but the usual Chinese Ebay stores located in Sydney/Melbourne, didn't fill me with any confidence and I try not to buy from them anyway on principle, so bought the same thing from Kickass, might have been a bit more $$ wise but certainly in my mail box 2 days later was a damn site better outcome plus if it croaks they are handy............. https://www.kickassproducts.com.au/buy/kick-ass-dual-zone-wireless-thermometer/KAWLTHERM

Too date works quite well .................

IMG_20231123_093504_HDR.jpg

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Recently picked up a dual zone fridge thermometer, mainly for the new house fridge and it will end up in van when on the road, replacing the single zone one used at present... Looked at the same type on Ebay but the usual Chinese Ebay stores located in Sydney/Melbourne, didn't fill me with any confidence and I try not to buy from them anyway on principle, so bought the same thing from Kickass, might have been a bit more $$ wise but certainly in my mail box 2 days later was a damn site better outcome plus if it croaks they are handy............. https://www.kickassproducts.com.au/buy/kick-ass-dual-zone-wireless-thermometer/KAWLTHERM

Too date works quite well .................

View attachment 69493
I have been using these for a few years now and originally paid around $22.00 from Ebay. Delivered within 5 days and no hassles either. Far superior to other types like Companion or similar, and wireless too. I have min and max settings for freezer section set at minus 24C and minus 18.0C respectively. Yes, my freezer can get to as low as minus 24C and normally sits below (colder) minus 18c!! Fridge settings are 0C min and 10C max. The ambient settings for alarm are 35C max and 0C min to provide an idea of internal van temps. Recommended this thermometer to some other members on this forum before. Still available at around $17.00 see link below. Recommended.

Welcome to the club @Drover!!

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have been using these for a few years now and originally paid around $22.00 from Ebay. Delivered within 5 days and no hassles either. Far superior to other types like Companion or similar, and wireless too. I have min and max settings for freezer section set at minus 24C and minus 18.0C respectively. Yes, my freezer can get to as low as minus 24C and normally sits below (colder) minus 18c!! Fridge settings are 0C min and 10C max. The ambient settings for alarm are 35C max and 0C min to provide an idea of internal van temps. Recommended this thermometer to some other members on this forum before. Still available at around $17.00 see link below. Recommended.

Welcome to the club @Drover!!
Thought that was the one you had suggested ........................ Fed up with so called Australian Stock, buy from Melbourne address and a week later it pings on Aust Post at Brisbane Airport, stuff 'em .....................................

Can't recall what I set the alarms at but similar to your settings .................... I may still end up just using my Kings in the van anyway, its compact and I'm really just interested in the fridge temp and recovery time.......

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Can't recall what I set the alarms at but similar to your settings .................... I may still end up just using my Kings in the van anyway, its compact and I'm really just interested in the fridge temp and recovery time.......
@Drover , now that you have a great fridge thermometer, you will be able to use one of the great features 'Trend indication". When you are able to decipher the "chinglish" and get to the heading of "trend indication of temperature arrow", have a good read of what it does. Basically, it will show as an arrow up or down on the temperature screen (for all three areas) if temperature sensor deviates more than 1C in one hour. If it displays as a parallel arrow, there has been no significant change in temperature. That will save you a lot of time and effort as you will be able to detect change in fridge/freeze/ambient temperatures without opening the door. Also, you will get a reading of max and min temps over the period. I check mine every morning and reset so I know what has happened and will get a new reading for the next day. Welcome to all the new features available!! Far better than the Kings and cheaper too.

Reactions: Hitting the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Old one has similar, would give a max and min for past 24hrs, just not that interested in all this screen watching BS, just current temp is more than enough .... Only got it as I wanted a freezer temp display and thought all in one better than two ..........

I get up in morning, make a coffee and glance at the screen while I get the milk out and thats it ...

Last edited:

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Old one has similar, would give a max and min for past 24hrs, just not that interested in all this screen watching BS, just current temp is more than enough .... Only got it as I wanted a freezer temp display and thought all in one better than two ..........

I get up in morning, make a coffee and glance at the screen while I get the milk out and thats it ...

Same, same...sits on top of the fridge being we have a pop top van, when opening the fridge for the milk, I can see freezer temp, fridge temp...and bonus...inside van temp at same time....:)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Cannot do that without keeping an eye (even the occasional glance at various times) on screen/program!
This new one same as old one, glance as I walk past, usually keep an eye on things when restock of fridge of course but since fitting this new fridge and doing a decent job of insulation I'm not even bothering with that very much now..... Last trip with all the seasons proved all works nicely so just cursory glance at power and fridge displays,........ Have met some who check on their solar and fridge with an app hourly .... So sad.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
just not that interested in all this screen watching BS, just current temp is more than enough .
Did not think that you meant that literally!! That does not mean that you are "screen watching" ALL the time, but the occasional check to see any major changes or things not happening as they should is the go. Then it is a case of WHY!! Early detection is better than trying to fix things when they are too far gone!! Like you and @Hitting the road, it is good to see how the fridge/freezer performed over the various changes in conditions eg when very hot/cold, just after restocking or adding extra load, and after taking cold items out and returning them a lot warmer when finished, especially drinks.
I have my main screen on the wall just near the door and always have a look before and after leaving van for a while. Peace of mind!! Had a couple of occasions when gas flame went out (faulty thermocouple) and another time gas was exhausted. Easy fix as just had to turn gas tap over to extra bottle. I agree, if you have to be checking solar charging and fridge temps by bluetooth every hour, your system is not reliable or you are not confident, then it is NOT a good arrangement.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yeah, had a fella recently banging on how I should be using these apps to keep an eye on things, he's always looking at them his missus says, she also adds he hasn't a clue what to do if they fail, I said well don't ring me, so that memory of what sort of holiday they must have is still with me, why go away if your glued to a screen of some sort ..............
I'm temp checking at the moment though, seeing if the spa is nice enough to jump in, steamy old day up here today, no shed or van tinkering too muggy. ......

Reactions: Hitting the road

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Need a Rhodes scholarship to work out the apps when they fail. Apps for water pumps,electric awings,etc.And guess what ? They are failing.! The electronics now in the new Js is ridiculous.
Sadly, the more technical it gets the more chance of things going wrong. My friends cant work on the new cars anymore as they are not the motor anyone can work on

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Sadly, the more technical it gets the more chance of things going wrong. My friends cant work on the new cars anymore as they are not the motor anyone can work on
Reminds me of back in the 60's, when I was younger and poorer, I had a head bolt pull through the thread on a HD Holden, I put it back together and drove to Repco, parked on the footpath outside the shop, pulled the head off, the mechanic came out, fitted a helicoil, I put it all back together, timed it, and drove home.
Easy peasey, all in a few hours, can't do that now!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Reminds me of back in the 60's, when I was younger and poorer, I had a head bolt pull through the thread on a HD Holden, I put it back together and drove to Repco, parked on the footpath outside the shop, pulled the head off, the mechanic came out, fitted a helicoil, I put it all back together, timed it, and drove home.
Easy peasey, all in a few hours, can't do that now!

Yep you still can drive the HD, EH, XY to the Repco engine shop and get a quick job done .................................... Nowadays by the time I find the head bolts Ive forgotten what I was doing.............................................. Daughters pool needs a Uni degree to work the damn thing, more button pushing than a Jumbo jet, its all automatic Dad she says, then I get shown by Son In Law before they choof off for a month ......................... bludddy techo rubbish to do the same thing I did in half the time manually......................... Rant over have a good Xmas folks...................

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Lol...I was a counter hopper at Repco back in the 70's...thats when Repco was a major supplier of spare parts. It wasn't uncommon for what would be termed a major repair to be taking place out in the car park on a Saturday morning as blokes ripped bits off their car to bring them inside to match up for new parts...back then there would be short and long motors on the showroom floor ready for pickup...

Reactions: BJM and Drover