Electrical Fridge switch for auto gas ignite

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Has anyone wired a fridge switch to a auto ignite fridge ?
Our fridge uses the 12v to light the gas if I put the fridge switch in line I don't think I'll have any 12v to light the gas ?

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Yep I remember a thread some time back we looked at the auto type fridges..... can't find it but from memory not only do they need 12v to ignite but they have a gas solenoid that requires 12v to keep them going as well. Major step back if you ask me.

Reactions: mfexpanda

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Yep I remember a thread some time back we looked at the auto type fridges..... can't find it but from memory not only do they need 12v to ignite but they have a gas solenoid that requires 12v to keep them going as well. Major step back if you ask me.
Cheers boots looks like the fridge switch might get the arse from being mounted in the van and back to in the truck
Where it only works when towing

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought the 12v supply from the vehicle was seperate to the 12v supply from the van in regards to the fridge ??

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
It is but I think the fridge only gets 12v from the car through the Anderson plug .
Hmm you may be right other wise the fridge would only ignite the gas if the car was connected I need to look into this .
Maybe the 12v supply is separate from the igniter ?
I'll need to check it on the weekend with my meter

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just fitted a relay to mine to do the same job as a fridge switch and my wiring came straight from the vehicle, I know as I had to redo all the dodgy factory connections, the wire for the gas igniter was coming from another separate loom inside the van.. Since I'm in my van I would turn off the 240 and try the gas but it's pissing down rain in Bundy and I'm not crawling underneath to turn the tap on.
The more I think about it the more I believe it's a myth, would mean you can't unhitch with the fridge on gas ?????

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If it doesn't work with the fridge switch fitted then you have wiring problems or forgot to pack the battery.........lol.