Fridge Location

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
I was just thinking that my 17.56-2 has the fridge located on the awning side of the van.
My question is...................................... if I am running the fridge on gas and set up the annexe walls am I creating the same dangerous atmosphere within the annexe and caravan that we've been talking about in the "off grid heating" thread?????????????????????
Food for thought hey!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Our 186L fridge is on the annexe side and vents through the roof, one of my mates has the same fridge on other side and vents through the wall.....makes me wonder if this is why :noidea:

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Here's Jayco's reply. A bit of further investigation required.

Hi Andrew,

I understand what you are saying. I personally have never heard of any problems with this.
As far as I am aware Jayco has not had any reports of this being a hazard from the government departments or from any licensed gas inspectors that complete road worthies in any states where this is required.
I will forward your email and reply onto our compliance team for possible actions if required.

Kind Regards,
Peter Manning

Jayco Technical
Jayco Technical

P. +613 8792 2107
F. +613 8792 2190
1 Jayco Drive
Dandenong South Victoria 3175
PO.Box636
Dandenong Victoria 3175
www.jayco.com.au

This email and any attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email or telephone +613 8792 2000, and destroy the original message together with any copies made of it, electronic or printed. Thank You.
Jayco Corporation Pty Ltd does not represent or warrant that the attached files are free from computer viruses or other defects. The user assumes all responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I received the same ESV magazine and read that story. It's not much gas being burned, a lot less than the small burner on a cooker. Make sure your appliance is in good order and serviced. DON'T run it on car gas. If you are worried, buy a Carbon Monoxide detector, I have seen them at Masters/Bunnings.

Geoff

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Well..........I was flicking through a subsription call Energy Safe and found this very interesting reading on page 30. Nothing to panic about although everyone with an annexe should be aware of.
http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=78oA8oP1HLY=&tabid=404&mid=2135

What I find interesting in this article is something I pointed out to the Jayco salesman this year at the Melbourne caravan show. The expandas they are building have the exhaust outlets placed in such a position that they will always be inside an annexe. Poor design is my thoughts.

Roh

Oct 26, 2010
Mornington Peninsula VIC
G'day Turtle,
Great question, hadn't thought about this before, and it seems we can rest assured that no dangerous situation can evolve from this. Another example why this forum is awesome, great people with genuine and friendly responses to any caravanning matter
Roh.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I thought about this too, when I first got my van. I will not put be putting an annex up so this was not too much of an issue for me. But would think twice about using an annex while running the fridge.

Just my opinion.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Our annex has 'gas' vents on both side walls and also in the van skirt. They are labelled thus so that the user knows not to block them in any circumstance.
BTW, We don't sleep in the annex, and I've installed a carbon monoxide alarm in the van.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I thought about this too, when I first got my van. I will not put be putting an annex up so this was not too much of an issue for me. But would think twice about using an annex while running the fridge.

Just my opinion.

I think the sentiment is good but missing the ".....while running the fridge on gas."

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I think the sentiment is good but missing the ".....while running the fridge on gas."

Yes that is what I meant, didn't even think of the 'gas' bit as most of our camping is with gas, my mistake.
Running on 240volt is not a problem, but that would only be about 5% of the time for me.