18' Series Fridge issue

Hanc

Feb 26, 2015
Geraldton
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but once I've hooked my van up to power (240V), when I turn the fridge on to AC, should it be making any sort of sound or show a light or something to let me know it's actually working and cooling down?
Obviously I'm a new owner and have just done the above but unless the fridge is super silent, it doesn't sound like it's even working??
Any thoughts?

Cheers
Hanc

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Mine, which is a 3 way, makes no noise at all and has nothing to show that it is actually working, other than getting cooler after a day

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
If yours is a three way (which generally always is the case unless you got a Waeco or Engel) there will be no sound. They are a heat exchanger/absorption type fridge. They have no motor so are completely silent.
http://www.portablefridgesonline.com.au/fridge-faqs/fridge-faq-how-3-way-fridges-work.html
As said above, only way you will know is that the fins are getting cooler to touch after a couple of hours.

If traveling, always turn your fridge on with AC a day or two before you fill it. 12v while travelling will just keep it cool, switch back to AC/gas as soon as you arrive at your destination.

Be careful, on 12v they are hungry buggers and will flatten your starting battery in less than an hour.

BJ

Eeram55

Jul 4, 2011
South Western Victoria
I always put some water in an ice cube tray and place in the freezer when I turn on my fridge, as it's the only way I feel that I can tell it's working. If it freezes - its working :apple: