fridge fan wiring

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Even if you have enough battery capacity to run the fridge for a little while is it wise? I thought deep cycle batteries didn't like being drained down quickly?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The other thing to consider if it's convenience you are after, there is another series of Dometic fridges available from the 150 litre up. They are the ones fitted to the Jayco motor homes and automatically switch between 240v 12v and gas as required, completely self igniting. I think they used to be offered with expandas back in 06 or 07.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Even if you have enough battery capacity to run the fridge for a little while is it wise? I thought deep cycle batteries didn't like being drained down quickly?

Hi Jim,
We are only talking a couple of hours at the most. I have had this set up for 5 years on my Eagle & the battery still holds a charge well. The AGM battery I have was quoted to me to have a life span of up to 10 years. I guess I'll find out soon enough. But it seems to handle it OK.
Of course If I stopped longer than that I would turn on the gas or at least turn the fridge off for a longer roadside stop. As yet in my travels I haven't had to do this.
By the way these batteries also power my engel in the car. I thought it was the purpose of deep cycle batteries to run fridges & other accessories (other than cranking batteries)

Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Jim,
We are only talking a couple of hours at the most. I have had this set up for 5 years on my Eagle & the battery still holds a charge well. The AGM battery I have was quoted to me to have a life span of up to 10 years. I guess I'll find out soon enough. But it seems to handle it OK.
Of course If I stopped longer than that I would turn on the gas or at least turn the fridge off for a longer roadside stop. As yet in my travels I haven't had to do this.
By the way these batteries also power my engel in the car. I thought it was the purpose of deep cycle batteries to run fridges & other accessories (other than cranking batteries)

Paul

Hi Paul Iam no battery expert hence why I asked the question just something Ive heard, same as running AGMs undress the bonnet. If you have had 5 yrs that's a reasonable run.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Paul Iam no battery expert hence why I asked the question just something Ive heard, same as running AGMs undress the bonnet. If you have had 5 yrs that's a reasonable run.

Oops,
Aren't you supposed to run AGM batteries under the bonnet? I hadn't heard that either & like you I am no expert. I have one as my Aux battery in the car, it's the same as the one in the van. Both are the same age & still going well.
I bought AGM because I was told they handle vibration better than other batteries, didn't consider under bonnet temps........
I'm guessing that would be the problem there.

I'm selling my battery with the Eagle so I will be getting a new one for the Expanda. So a fresh one should ensure I dont have any problems with the new set up.

Thanks for the info,
Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Oops,
Aren't you supposed to run AGM batteries under the bonnet? I hadn't heard that either & like you I am no expert. I have one as my Aux battery in the car, it's the same as the one in the van. Both are the same age & still going well.
I bought AGM because I was told they handle vibration better than other batteries, didn't consider under bonnet temps........
I'm guessing that would be the problem there.

I'm selling my battery with the Eagle so I will be getting a new one for the Expanda. So a fresh one should ensure I dont have any problems with the new set up.

Thanks for the info,
Paul

Are those remco batteries in the expandas AGMs?

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Jim,

Not sure what Jayco supply. Maybe someone who has one can advise. I'm not getting theirs fitted to my van.
I can buy mine through my work & will be getting an AGM for the Expanda (when it finally arrives!)

Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I had a Remco in our 2007 and it was good battery. Iam going with them again because I want the 15-20 kg they weight included in my Tare weight. Payload on the single axle expandas is pretty poor standard without adding heaps of extras.

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
$300 and 100amp hour (guess)

When you think about it thats not too bad to supply & fit. I work for a wholesaler & can only buy these batteries for slightly less than that.
I think I'll be calling the dealer & including the battery in my order. Not worth my time to buy one & fit myself.

Paul