Free camp spots in SE Qld

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Does anyone know any good free camp spots within a 2hr drive from Brisbane thats near a creek to take our expanda for a trip?.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Sharp Park at Canungra sits right on a creek but it's not quite free. It's council run and costs are similar to a national park.

Do you have the "Camps Australia" book. It lists stacks of freebies all over the country. I'll bring mine to Somerset.

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
Sharp Park at Canungra sits right on a creek but it's not quite free. It's council run and costs are similar to a national park.

Do you have the "Camps Australia" book. It lists stacks of freebies all over the country. I'll bring mine to Somerset.

Yes I have the camps 5 book. I'm looking for any suggestions of places people have been so I can take my son to.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We camped at Calliope, north of Brisbane last year. It's on a river with a wier, lots of space, plenty of grass. Can fish the river as well.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Where we were at Kennilworth Homestead (highly recommended) in January, we noticed a free camp at ObiObi Creek Crossing 3. Was just a rest area on the creek. Nothing over the top.

You could also try Lake Dyer out near Laidley. Not free but almost. $11/site unpowered and $22/site powered and you get the second night free! you need to book and there is a $20 refundable deposit for the key to the gate and shower. There is a playground there too for the kids. All sites have water. 32 sites total with 16 being powered (some have a concrete slab). We hope to go out there soon.

Reactions: Four of us

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
I just looked up Kenilworth Homestead. It looks like a good place to go. I have been to lake Dyer that is another good place to stay. Maybe we could arrange another SE meet for Lake Dyer. As Andrea stated the second night is free for a powered site.

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
charlie moorlands campground near kenilworth or cedar grove near amamoor....both national parks $5.15 ea per night....both have creeks for swimming....or inskip point near rainbow beach.....give us a yell and i'll see if i can come out and join you...unfortunately im working and cant make it out to somerset dam...

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Where we were at Kennilworth Homestead (highly recommended) in January, we noticed a free camp at ObiObi Creek Crossing 3. Was just a rest area on the creek. Nothing over the top.

You could also try Lake Dyer out near Laidley. Not free but almost. $11/site unpowered and $22/site powered and you get the second night free! you need to book and there is a $20 refundable deposit for the key to the gate and shower. There is a playground there too for the kids. All sites have water. 32 sites total with 16 being powered (some have a concrete slab). We hope to go out there soon.

Hey Andrea that Lake Dyer looks like a great spot. I agree with Four of Us we should try and do a SE meet there. Pick a w.end.
Cheers Deano