Solar Free camp set up

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Ok, I am a total novice with little knowledge but want to set up for some free camping,
My van is a 2008, 16-49-1 and I want some quick cheap and easy conversions to be able to freecamp for a few nights here and there.
I have a porta loo so that is covered although I do need to work out the best way to use it and will buy a pop up tent to make it a quick and easy set up.
Next, my fridge is 3 way and so far have not had any problems with it and it works well on gas,
Hot water is an issue but I guess I keep boiling the kettle or boil a pot on the stove.
I do want to undersling the van for a little extra height but have put up with this for so long not sure. Have been told to go to a 16” rim for and easier fix.
Power is an issue, we have a standard battery set up that I think only runs the lights( need to upgrade these the LED and need to work this out). I just want to be able to charge phones iPads at this stage. Tv would be a luxury. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
if you buy a pop up ensuite, you will probably need to go search on YouTube for videos on how to pack it back up.
Also, consider if you want to have a shower. If so, choose an ensuite tent that has room to move.

Yes, if you want to camp off grid your easiest job is to replace all the 12V lighting with LED. Replacement globes are easy to find on eBay and they are not expensive.

We have a plastic solar shower. Fill it with water (up to 10l) and leave it out in the sun. Take care though. In summer it will easily get hot enough to scold you. Plan to have showers in late afternoon, before the water cools down.
Put it on the bonnet of your car if you want it to heat up quickly. Especially if you have just been driving. The engine provides quite a lot of heat.
They are available in most camping type shops. We have a cheap one and it is over 30 years old. You can get them for $10 at BigW if you hurry

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/coleman-solar-shower/p/8387302/

s-l400.png

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
have you got any 12V sockets in your van?

If not, you might want to consider installing some. You can then get the adapters that plug into them which provide 2 USB ports.
Just about every tablet and phone will charge from a USB port.

I also have quite a few things that run off AAA or AA batteries. clocks, torches, cameras, etc. I use mostly rechargeable batteries and the best ones are those sold at IKEA. They have a very low self discharge and thus don't go flat as quickly when they are not being used. I have a charger that runs off 12V. That way, every couple of months, when we are camping and there is good sunllight, I recharge them all.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: 1DayIll

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
No I don’t have 12V sockets in my van. Not sure about the best way to install and connect these.
Hi,
what power supply / battery charger is installed? It is probably a Setec. If so, open the fuse cover and get the model number. It should be something like Setec ST20-II or ST35-II. Inside the fuse cover there will be a number of load fuses and a battery fuse.

Otherwise post a photo of what power supply / battery charger is installed.

Also, post a photo of the top of your battery clearly showing the connections to the terminals.

The easiest way of getting some 12V outlets in your van is to place them close to the power supply to reduce the amount of cabling.
There are flush surface mount sockets and Narva type shrouded sockets like what you will see on the exterior of vans.

cheers
Mike

Disco Duck

Dec 8, 2017
Adelaide South Australia
"I have a porta loo so that is covered although I do need to work out the best way to use it and will buy a pop up tent to make it a quick and easy set up. "

I always found the best way to use a porta loo is to make sure you are sitting down with the lid up. Other than that I can't help you to work out a better way to use it. :)

I think mikerezney has got it covered for you

Reactions: Drover and 1DayIll

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi,
what power supply / battery charger is installed? It is probably a Setec. If so, open the fuse cover and get the model number. It should be something like Setec ST20-II or ST35-II. Inside the fuse cover there will be a number of load fuses and a battery fuse.

Otherwise post a photo of what power supply / battery charger is installed.

Also, post a photo of the top of your battery clearly showing the connections to the terminals.

The easiest way of getting some 12V outlets in your van is to place them close to the power supply to reduce the amount of cabling.
There are flush surface mount sockets and Narva type shrouded sockets like what you will see on the exterior of vans.

cheers
Mike
Thanks. I will have a look soon and let you know. Thanks for all of your help

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks. I will have a look soon and let you know. Thanks for all of your help
we had a 2009 16.49.1 OB (and a similarly equiped Swan before that) The Setec was a series 2 20amp. No roof panel, no hot water, no bathroom. We had a fused twin cable directly from the battery to a plug outside under the floor close to the battery to plug in a portable panel. We used a Portapotti, pop up shower tent and a Coleman portable hot water system. We knew no better, we loved it, and freecamped like that for many years.

The best pop up shower tent that works, does a great job holding its own in the wind and is adequately big enough is the Anaconda unit, which youll get for around $50 on their rotating sales. I still use one

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Same as this @1DayIll , just like @Crusty181 said for connection of portable solar panel. Anderson plug on outside of van, connected to a FUSED line direct to the battery terminals. In my case, I am not using solar controllers on portable panels, so the wiring goes to the solar controller inside the van. See pictures for an idea of simplicity just like @Crusty181 said.

27 Jul 17 (1).JPG

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
we had a 2009 16.49.1 OB (and a similarly equiped Swan before that) The Setec was a series 2 20amp. No roof panel, no hot water, no bathroom. We had a fused twin cable directly from the battery to a plug outside under the floor close to the battery to plug in a portable panel. We used a Portapotti, pop up shower tent and a Coleman portable hot water system. We knew no better, we loved it, and freecamped like that for many years.

The best pop up shower tent that works, does a great job holding its own in the wind and is adequately big enough is the Anaconda unit, which youll get for around $50 on their rotating sales. I still use one
Thanks. For this. I will watch for sales now

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Ok, I am a total novice with little knowledge but want to set up for some free camping,
My van is a 2008, 16-49-1 and I want some quick cheap and easy conversions to be able to freecamp for a few nights here and there.
I have a porta loo so that is covered although I do need to work out the best way to use it and will buy a pop up tent to make it a quick and easy set up.
Next, my fridge is 3 way and so far have not had any problems with it and it works well on gas,
Hot water is an issue but I guess I keep boiling the kettle or boil a pot on the stove.
I do want to undersling the van for a little extra height but have put up with this for so long not sure. Have been told to go to a 16” rim for and easier fix.
Power is an issue, we have a standard battery set up that I think only runs the lights( need to upgrade these the LED and need to work this out). I just want to be able to charge phones iPads at this stage. Tv would be a luxury. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Some more info for you @1DayIll . The supplied internal battery you have in your van normally does provide power to your lights (incandescent type) and also any other 12 volt accessories, radio etc and maybe even power to charge your van battery. There is also a 240 volt AC circuit to provide for appliances when connected to grid power. No grid power, then no 240 volt appliances to use!! (unless you use an inverter - not what you want at this stage??

Currently working on a friend's van, where 12 volt power also runs the lights over the range hood and the range hood fan itself. Unfortunately, when using normal lighting and range hood fan/lighting, this draws a whopping 12.8 amps. Worse still, all that power came from a 12 volt AC transformer!! Modern LED lighting does not do too well on AC power - needs DC power. However, by changing ALL lighting to LED type, total current is reduced to only 2.8 amps including fans so we were able to discard the useless 12 volt AC power supply transformer and get power directly from the battery but still using existing fuses and wiring. @mikerezny will need to know a lot about your van electrics (unless he can get a wiring diagram) as you go step by step through your upgrade. Plenty of help and advice available on this forum. You may pick up some ideas from an earlier post : 16' Series: 12 volt Accessories started by @coys 53 on 19 October, 2019 in which you were involved and I explained how I was able to add additional 12 volt outlets throughout my van.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Some more info for you @1DayIll . The supplied internal battery you have in your van normally does provide power to your lights (incandescent type) and also any other 12 volt accessories, radio etc and maybe even power to charge your van battery. There is also a 240 volt AC circuit to provide for appliances when connected to grid power. No grid power, then no 240 volt appliances to use!! (unless you use an inverter - not what you want at this stage??

Currently working on a friend's van, where 12 volt power also runs the lights over the range hood and the range hood fan itself. Unfortunately, when using normal lighting and range hood fan/lighting, this draws a whopping 12.8 amps. Worse still, all that power came from a 12 volt AC transformer!! Modern LED lighting does not do too well on AC power - needs DC power. However, by changing ALL lighting to LED type, total current is reduced to only 2.8 amps including fans so we were able to discard the useless 12 volt AC power supply transformer and get power directly from the battery but still using existing fuses and wiring. @mikerezny will need to know a lot about your van electrics (unless he can get a wiring diagram) as you go step by step through your upgrade. Plenty of help and advice available on this forum. You may pick up some ideas from an earlier post : 16' Series: 12 volt Accessories started by @coys 53 on 19 October, 2019 in which you were involved and I explained how I was able to add additional 12 volt outlets throughout my van.
Thanks. I will go back to this and see what I can find.