Fraser Is / Hervey Bay trip in the making

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
You know those trips you've always wanted to do, but they just never seem to happen for various reasons, then you think if it doesn't happen now it probably never will.
We'll for us this is one of those trips where I thought WTH it has to happen come hell or high water.
Last Friday morning I received a message as a heads up to an invitation is on its way for a family event in September, naturally I didn't think twice as I now have an incentive to make is trip happen, (A) Because I've always wanted to head up that way again
(B) Because it's been way to long since I've caught up with my brother and family in person.
.(C) catch up with other family and friends on the way.

Now my question to the brains truss is travelling via NSW north coast (Pacific Hwy) can you recommend any good overnight free camps suitable for large vans, return trip will be inland properly through New England region or even a bit further west so suggestions for camps there also. ,I have Hema Nav and the usual books, will be winging it on the back so see where we end up.
The round trip will be approximately 3 wks, the van won't be going to the island as we have accommodation sorted there and I don't need a 2.6 ton anchor dragging throught the sand.

Not counting the days just yet, (Yeah Right! )

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Good stuff, Bushie. Hopefully we can catch up. I like Bulahdelah for a free camp or maybe Halfway Creek (behind the Shell servo). A lot of the free camps along the freeway have been closed making it a bit awkward to camp.

Coming back down the NEH, 54 km south of Tamworth,Wallabadah has a good free camp at First Fleet Memorial Garden.

In 2003 a stonemason/gardener/landscaper, Ray Collins-Cross, began the remarkable task of building a memorial to the First and Second Fleets which brought convicts to Australia. It was, by any measure, an extraordinary project where winding pathways passed stones on which the names of the crews, passengers, New South Wales corps and convicts were chiselled. The histories of each ship are profiled on "sail" boards and, because it is a rest and recreation area, the picnic area is shaped like a ship with sun shields for the sails. The First Fleet Memorial Gardens are located near Quirindi Creek on the New England Highway. The obvious question is "Why Wallabadah?" a tiny town far removed from Sydney were the First and Second Fleets landed. The answer is a caustic comment on the small minded values of local councils. A plaque explains: "This memorial is for the descendants of those who sailed on the First Fleet. Many of these descendants now regularly use this area for family reunions and for quiet reflection. There is no other Memorial in Australia that lists all the names of the people who sailed on the First Fleet. The Memorial's physical location is not that important as the descendants come from all parts of Australia and from overseas. Liverpool Plains Shire Council supported the vision of Ray Collins, a descendant, who built this Memorial. The rejection of this vision by other locales within New South Wales is why it is here today."

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'd agree with Bulahdelah though it was a bit tight last time we were there. I'm struggling to remember what time of year that was. But ok overnight.

Haven't tried the others.

Have fun!!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Good stuff, Bushie. Hopefully we can catch up. I like Bulahdelah for a free camp or maybe Halfway Creek (behind the Shell servo). A lot of the free camps along the freeway have been closed making it a bit awkward to camp.

Coming back down the NEH, 54 km south of Tamworth,Wallabadah has a good free camp at First Fleet Memorial Garden.

In 2003 a stonemason/gardener/landscaper, Ray Collins-Cross, began the remarkable task of building a memorial to the First and Second Fleets which brought convicts to Australia. It was, by any measure, an extraordinary project where winding pathways passed stones on which the names of the crews, passengers, New South Wales corps and convicts were chiselled. The histories of each ship are profiled on "sail" boards and, because it is a rest and recreation area, the picnic area is shaped like a ship with sun shields for the sails. The First Fleet Memorial Gardens are located near Quirindi Creek on the New England Highway. The obvious question is "Why Wallabadah?" a tiny town far removed from Sydney were the First and Second Fleets landed. The answer is a caustic comment on the small minded values of local councils. A plaque explains: "This memorial is for the descendants of those who sailed on the First Fleet. Many of these descendants now regularly use this area for family reunions and for quiet reflection. There is no other Memorial in Australia that lists all the names of the people who sailed on the First Fleet. The Memorial's physical location is not that important as the descendants come from all parts of Australia and from overseas. Liverpool Plains Shire Council supported the vision of Ray Collins, a descendant, who built this Memorial. The rejection of this vision by other locales within New South Wales is why it is here today."

Wallabahdah is a great spot and the memorial is well worth a look we stayed there on our last venture back from Glen Innes, but that was a while ago now, I soon figured out it is best to be towards the rear of the area as towards the front is to close to the highway and cops a fair bit of road noise from the trucks grinding their way up the hill going north or their engine brakes coming down the hill into town, interesting though there was power outlets (not connected) similar to what you find in older style van parks, got chatting to the bloke that lives in the house as you come into the camp area, and he told me it was originally a caravan park in days gone by, but no evidence of this remains other than the poles.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Come home along the Fossickers Way, quite a few free camps along the way.........Buy your vehicle permit for the Island online way cheaper than at the kiosk at Rainbow.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Are you going to Fraser from Rainbow or Hervey Bay as you can save a big heap of $$$$ going from Rainbow.....Bingara is a nice proper free camp.
Pic from my chair as I type.

1488008027968-496370132.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sure is $160 return on barge from Rainbow buy your barge ticket first on left as you get to Rainbow but as I said before beach permit online can save heaps. There is a Woolworths at Cooloola Cove 15min before Rainbow if extra supplies are needed as Rainbow can be pretty exxie.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Here's a couple of spots I used going up the coast. Not designated, more of a pull up on dark and leave in the morning stop.

https://goo.gl/maps/4DTT25s5naw

https://goo.gl/maps/sg85rmv2zwr

https://goo.gl/maps/yCgenjXNfzF2
This one is actually legal.
If you travel though Macksville during holiday period, with the only path north and south hampered by 3 successive traffic lights in 25ft and a single lane bridge over the Nambucca Rv, youll feel like your camping sitting in the car on the highway just trying to get through town

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Camping? as in staying in one spot for a period of time to sleep, rest, eat, or whatever.

So I reckon it applies in all such cases, including sleeping in the car.

Why do people persist in camping in areas designated "no camping"? The signs are usually there for a reason, including safety. No sign then fair game!

Sorry, but i think its clear cut...

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I guess my impressions are coloured by some bad experiences in south Australia a few years ago. We were totally disgusted by the mess around the "no camping" signs ...toilet paper, dirty nappies, food scraps and loads of other rubbish.

and we'd just been given a lecture by the quarantine people as to why south Australia has banned plastic bags!

If they used plastic bags the mess might have been reduced.

and I haven't been back to Frazer island for years because of the crap around the camping areas. It's a beautiful place but sadly overused by many idiots!

No one from this site I'm sure...

Now :focus:. :distrust: