Ford Territory Towing

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Hi all,

I have 6 speed 2006 territory it states in the handbook to tow in performance mode instead of normal mode just wondering what all terry owners think!!!

satyoga

Aug 3, 2011
Sunshine Coast
Not a terry owner, but as a transmission specailist it will hold the gears a little longer giving the transmission shift a little higher pressure for the gear change and prevent any chance of slipping. Most people will just put it in drive and off they go and never have an issue.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I have also heard from another Territory owner, if you tow over a certain weight you cant travel over 80kph...

He said he read it in the owners manual. I cant remember what weight he had said but he was towing an sterling... Might be worth looking in to depending on the weight you are towing.

As for the manual shift in the auto, We do it in our Pathy, but more for the reason, the Pathy has an awful habit of shifting in to top gear quickly and wont go back to forth unless you flat foot it and then it goes to 3rd. It doesnt like kicking back to forth so we do it with the tiptronic thingy...

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I have a Territory with the 6speed ZF, great transmission.
Yes I do always tow anything heavy in PERF mode.
Most of the time I find myself manually shifting as I find it better to control when I up and down shift, allowing for climbs and descents etc.

2Dogs

Jan 13, 2012
Werribee, Victoria
I have a Diesel Territory RWD with the 6 speed. I tow in drive and up too 110km/hr. Ive got a 16 foot expanda outback
The only thing ive read in the owners manual is to not tow over 2000kg (i confirm this) untill youve done a running in period of 4000km i think

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Thanks ALL

A big thanks to all the replies will use perf mode on our maiden voyage in the territory next weekend, thats if the rain ever stops in sunny victoria