17' Series Ford Territory towing

Oct 13, 2012
Hi all,
Have just put the final order in for our new expanda 17.56-1 for pickup the week before Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has any experience towing with the new SZ Territory? We have a 2011 TS AWD diesel and wanted to know any ins and outs of towing with fuel capacity etc.

The other query I had is just for towing in general. This is the first time towing a full size van after towing trailers then an eagle camper for the past 6 years. I have also purchases a HR WDH which gives the feeling of a bit more safety. Are there any seasoned campaigners with towing 17ft vans and are there any tips/tricks I should know or any safety features I should consider with towing a van of this size?

Thanks all.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi TW. My advice is to get some towing mirrors and take it slow. Watch the van cutting corners and practice reversing in an empty car park if you can before your under too much pressure! After saying that, its not that hard!

Reactions: crackacoldie

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi TW

It will feel a bit weird and I bet you will look real carefully when turning and going around roundabouts etc. So it is all about not cutting any corners and taking it as wide as you can. If you plan to go to caravan parks then don't just drive in. Walk over to where you need to go first to make sure you can negotiate obstacles.
Is yours a full height? If so, then look up for sides of buildings, trees etc.
You will probably also be dealing with a brake controller for the first time as well. Make sure you know what knob to reach for as you are driving along as you will need to get that correct whilst braking. Do you know what you need to do to get the brake controller "feeling right"?

Get help from Jayco in setting up your WDH. Ask the dealer what you need to organise in this area before getting to pick up day.

I think though, just getting the van out and taking it to a destination removes a good load of fears.
If you still don't feel confident though, then there are caravan towing courses out there. My wife was given one as a present and I chose to do it also. It was excellent because they made us brake to the point where the ABS engaged on the car, we worked out jack knife angles and did a range of backing maneuvers.
All the extreme conditions were covered as well as how to set the van up to the car.
But most importantly, we worked out when I am backing and my wife is observing and she calls out "left", I know for certain which left she means.:peep:

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Look around the parks TW all the oldies are now towing with the Territory, they all talk them up, only a bit thirstly being 4l.

Greg

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Hi TW and welcome to the site.

We have a 17.56-2 which we used to tow with a petrol Prado and now with a 2012 Territory TX RWD Diesel. We have just done 4,000 odd km towing traveling Melbourne - Dubbo - Armidale - Gold Coast - Sunshine Coast - Coffs Harbour - Nelson Bay - Melbourne over the September school holidays.

First of all let me reassure you that you will have no issues towing with the Territory. The engine and drive train are fantastic. The manual recommends towing in D PERF which drops 6th gear (overdrive) which makes sense. We sat at 100 km/h and were pulling about 2100 rpm to do so. Fuel consumption averaged 14 l/ 100km worst case.

As for towing the bigger van well all I can suggest in addition to the advice here is you just take it easy to start with, ensure your brake controller is set up properly and watch those 90 degree bends - go deep!

You will find it tons easier to reverse onto a site than your camper too. If you want to practice, use a small 6 by 4 trailer. If you can reverse those pigs of things you can reverse anything!

Feel free to PM me if you like!

Good luck - GO THE 17 FOOTERS!!!!

Izzya123

Mar 18, 2011
Mount Martha, Victoria
Hi all,
Have just put the final order in for our new expanda 17.56-1 for pickup the week before Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has any experience towing with the new SZ Territory? We have a 2011 TS AWD diesel and wanted to know any ins and outs of towing with fuel capacity etc.

The other query I had is just for towing in general. This is the first time towing a full size van after towing trailers then an eagle camper for the past 6 years. I have also purchases a HR WDH which gives the feeling of a bit more safety. Are there any seasoned campaigners with towing 17ft vans and are there any tips/tricks I should know or any safety features I should consider with towing a van of this size?

Thanks all.

I have a 2009 Ford Territory Ghia AWD. Just spent 3 months travelling the western loop of Oz from Melb in our 17.56.1. Towed great but was very thirsty over 80km/h. I sat on 90ish km/h. Mine is petrol however. Took a bit of getting use to in the first week however after the 3 months now an expert!! Take your time, get the extra 300mm on your A frame, it helps when reversing, make sure you work out your electric brakes....very important. Have fun!!

Izzy

Kimy

Jan 26, 2016
Goldcoast
I have a 2009 Ford Territory Ghia AWD. Just spent 3 months travelling the western loop of Oz from Melb in our 17.56.1. Towed great but was very thirsty over 80km/h. I sat on 90ish km/h. Mine is petrol however. Took a bit of getting use to in the first week however after the 3 months now an expert!! Take your time, get the extra 300mm on your A frame, it helps when reversing, make sure you work out your electric brakes....very important. Have fun!!

Izzy
Hi Izzy,
We need some advice, we are about to buy a 17.56-1 and have the same car. Did you need tow levellers?
Did you tow the van with the clothes in the cupboards and the food in the fridge ?eg How full was your van?
Thank you
Kimy

Wigs

Sep 28, 2014
Hi Kimy
We're also towing with an 09 territory Ghia AWD, slightly smaller van, just a 16 footer. The territory tows it effortlessly, if not for very heavy on the fuel consumption. Avg for us is around 19l per 100km and thats sitting on around 95km/h and backing off up the hills. If you set the cruise to 100 then she goes well over 20l/100km, have seen as high as 22l with a headwind.

We use levellers and thats with a full van.

If you can afford the fuel and frequent fuel stops its otherwise a great solid car to tow with.

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
We have a Starcraft 16.67-4 and tow with a 2010 rwd territory. Tows good with about 16l/100 km on the highway and about 17 on country roads. Sit between 90 and 95 on the highway. Ours would be about 1.8t. Only problem we have is getting the wdh bars on sometimes

Outside Pass

Jul 23, 2018
Melbourne
Does anyone have experience with the Expanda Outback 17.56 and an AWD territory.

I think the rating is 2700kg for the Territory and 2645 for the Expanda which is inside spec but getting close.

What's the real world like?

Bottletop

Mar 22, 2018
Newcastle
Does anyone have experience with the Expanda Outback 17.56 and an AWD territory.

I think the rating is 2700kg for the Territory and 2645 for the Expanda which is inside spec but getting close.

Hi Outside Pass

I'm towing a 2011 17.56 Expanda (Non Outback) with a 2016 AWD Turbo Diesel Territory, Only 1 trip so far from Newcastle up to One Mile (Port Stephens) & towed like a dream, sat on 100kph no worries & the hills doesn't worry it at all, fully loaded we are about 2250kg so a bit lighter than the outback & yes the AWD is 2700kg, is 2645kg the ATM of the Outback? I guess that is getting close to the 2700kg rating, Heading to the Gold Coast in September so looking forward to see how the Territory goes, hope this helps out

Cheers

Reactions: PhilW

Outside Pass

Jul 23, 2018
Melbourne
Thanks Bottletop. New to the forums as have had a Outback Swan for the last few years and looking to upsize. Want to make sure the tow vehicle is appropriately specced.

Reactions: PhilW

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW

Remember to read the fine print on towing with the territory in the towing manual, I believe it puts in some speed restrictions and restrictions on weight in the boot of the car.

I towed our 16.49-3 ob with our 2013 TD territory for the first time a few weeks ago, from Newcastle down to Wagga. Very happy with how it travelled and the fuel economy was great at 14l/100 at 100kph.

Reactions: Bottletop

Craig1612

Jul 13, 2018
Melbourne
I too have a 17.56.1 tourer and is 2210 loaded, tow with a 2013 awd titanium, agreed with everyone here it tows well, one thing I do is tow in performance mode and I find if you get hills and it down shifts too far and revs over 3000 rpm you loose momentum if it’s hilly I manual shift it and keep it between 2000-2800 it seems happy there, again that’s just me, I came from a petrol 2010 terry,

I find the rear springs quite soft, so I’ll be putting in air bags, and yes I have WDH

Craig1612

Jul 13, 2018
Melbourne

I would be careful with your gross combination mass with the outback

With my 2010 I did a lot of trips to the weigh bridge and all my weights were within about 150 of the max,