Electrical Ford Everest to van ESC

KevD

May 11, 2022
Highett, Vic
Hi. I need to change the factory 12 pin connector to send power to ESC on Jayco. Currently ESc comes on in reverse. Without me studying wiring diagrams and testing car pins can anyone give me a quick pin change / bridge plan that they did previously?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The ESC is often connected up with an Anderson plug then it can be disconnected if your towing on really rough stuff but if yours on van has been wired up to reverse (pin2) on the van 12 pin plug then I would be running a dedicated 12v supply on tug to the reverse pin (2) on tugs plug..... The ESC must have a dedicated 12v supply from battery with a 30amp fuse, a maxi fuse is ideal, the supply mustn't be piggy backed from another circuit as it may require a good feed at times... Using the reverse pin is fine, reverse light on van if fitted is not really needed anyway.

So you will need to run a dedicated 12v feed to your tug 12 pin, if the Everest is the same as the Ranger and things haven't changed Pos to the battery Pos, not of the nearby connector that everything connects to and NEG off the battery engine Ground on chassis or ECU can have an issue, it may have changed just not sure ....... If you haven't got the manual for the ESC its available online....

How do you know it comes on with reverse is selected ??

KevD

May 11, 2022
Highett, Vic
The ESC is often connected up with an Anderson plug then it can be disconnected if your towing on really rough stuff but if yours on van has been wired up to reverse (pin2) on the van 12 pin plug then I would be running a dedicated 12v supply on tug to the reverse pin (2) on tugs plug..... The ESC must have a dedicated 12v supply from battery with a 30amp fuse, a maxi fuse is ideal, the supply mustn't be piggy backed from another circuit as it may require a good feed at times... Using the reverse pin is fine, reverse light on van if fitted is not really needed anyway.

So you will need to run a dedicated 12v feed to your tug 12 pin ....... If you haven't got the manual for the ESC its available online....

How do you know it comes on with reverse is selected ??
Hi. Thanks. I could see the ESC unit green light come on in the reverse camera so I got my wife to have a look when I engaged reverse and confirmed. The number 9 pin on the car is giving out 11.8v constant when ignition on so Im thinking of swapping that lead from 9 over to pin 2 on car for constant power to ESC. (Im thinking 11.8v is low though? Should be over 12?). Im just trying to check pin 9 is not running van fridge while driving (and not sure how to test that without leaving car running and connected). I have confirmed the anderson plug is charging the van battery so I'm hoping thats also running the fridge which will free up wire/pin 9.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd be making sure what goes to what and its only something that you can check yourself as not every tug or van is wired the same, really the best way is to go thru the lot, lights, turns etc, try to have them match the plug plan where possible ...... If you follow your anderson and it goes to the battery, same size cables on battery then I doubt it will be going to fridge as well, plug the anderson in and nothing else ,easy to see if an auto fridge if an analogue fridge put the meter on the terminal at the back of fridge, no need to turn fridge on and wait then.
Pin 9 at 11.8v is too low for a fridge circuit or ESC but it could be charging your breaksafe battery, hence why you need to ID every pin, I'd would be running fridge, ESC, Breaksafe charge off pins 8-12 as they can handle the load better and making sure pins 3 and 10 are going to a good earth, bad earth cause more trouble than anything.... Fridge and ESC should run from battery not from another vehicle circuit the losses and draw can be too much for the standard vehcile wiring, thats why many choose to run a dedicated cable with andersons to fridge.

You should have engine running when you do these checks, I check tug pins then with cover off plug in van so I can use probe on its pins as I go around them all, does save lots of getting up and down.

1655687547149.png

Reactions: Boots in Action