Fold up trailer

Wilko

Dec 20, 2012
Parkes NSW
Hi all,

Has anyone mounted a fold up trailer to their van ( a 17.55.5sh outback preferably) but any one will help. Has it effected the handling of the van? Any pictures/ info will help.

Cheers Wilko

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all,

Has anyone mounted a fold up trailer to their van ( a 17.55.5sh outback preferably) but any one will help. Has it effected the handling of the van? Any pictures/ info will help.

Cheers Wilko

Depends on the brand and weight...

Some of the cheaper fold ups are 80kg's, the more expensive ones are 38kg's and have less "bits".

Which brand are you looking at?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Was thinking a Mangrove Jack cause Ive heard good things about them and they are light

Good choice they are a quality unit and the lightest around :)!!!

They have a bracket / mounting kit for the rear but sure they could wip something up for the a frame -

http://www.mangrovejack.com/products/caravan-mounting-kit/

Thing I like the mangrove jack is the pieces are very portable so you could chuck the wheel in the car and the frame of the trailer on the a frame.

Let us know how you get along as i plan on doing the exact same thing my 17.55.5sh.

I had flip n easy and whilst a great trailer was very heavy so would not have attempted it.

Where are you going to keep the motor?

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Expanda, that's what's recommended but we have tested with motor and about 200kg of fire wood ( we did a run to collect some fire wood and the boat worked as a great trailer)

image0018.jpg

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi Expanda, that's what's recommended but we have tested with motor and about 200kg of fire wood ( we did a run to collect some fire wood and the boat worked as a great trailer)

View attachment 13252

Interesting, removing the motor is the biggest pain as after a day out fishing i can not be stuffed to load a 40kg motor into the car :)

I prefer to hook up and go back to the van to collapse :)....

Most of the van parks we stay at have a ramp inside of the park so if you can leave the motor on it would be great and then I could potentially leave the trailer at home which equals less weight and hassle!!

Ill have to grab one in the future from you but not for a little while :)!!!

How long have you left the wheels on?

I am just wondering as we go somewhere for like two weeks and I like to setup the boat when we get there motor on etc and then leave the boat ready to go as and when I am ready.

So do you have to remove the wheels once you have it back to where you are going or can you leave them on for a period of time?

Sorry to hijack the thread :)!

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
No worries at all Expanda, we leave the wheels on 100% of the time except when in the water even storage at home the wheels stay on.

Also when we come in from out on the water I put the wheels on in the water as this saves trying to lift the sides of the boat to get them on and then hitch up and tow back to camp.