14' Series Fitting D035 Hitch

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
I have tried fitting the D035 to my 2015 14.44.5 Outback with Jaytech Suspension - but the 25X25mm cross bar is a bit close and interferes with the full travel of the handbrake. I can adjust it so it works -but not a comfortable margin - 6 clicks of range only.
Issues I can think of :
* With little or no play in the cable will the brakes drag when the trailing arm moves to the max?
* Cut and move the bar ? don't like the idea of messing up the nice hot dip galv.
* Re-drill the D035 - the back end tapers and holes will get close to the edge and unit will look a bit agricultural with 4 spare holes.
* Weld the D035 on in a further forward location - paint over the nice hot dip galv at the weld site.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Reactions: chartrock

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some pics would help but I have extended the brake arm on one hitch change and made a new hinge point on another, 6 clicks is heaps of movement, Big Mal has only about 3, when the brake is off a small bit of play is the cable is okay, doesn't need to be flapping about in the breeze.
Another mod is a small bit of chain from bottom of lever to the adjuster can give a bit more room and doesn't affect the operation.

Reactions: dagree

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Thanks
The lever is just like the old handbrake with button the end ..so not a simple plate like OEM.
However thread gives me the idea of extending the lower part to give more throw for the available clicks.
Attached is pic of setup

Attachments

• 14912140917881.jpg
    14912140917881.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 351
Reactions: bigcol

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
Hi @alexvk2 ....got to ask the question......what happened to the Hilux on your avatar?
Not a pretty sight sitting on the back of that truck :bolt:

Hi Phl
good question
I bought the neighbours rig of Hilux/Trayon for a trip to Flinders the Rock Tanaami /Kimberleys last year. After clambering around & up the rock I turned the key to get a few splutters and found the fuel pump had died and needed a tow back to Yulara where they had to drain & remove the Longranger tank, replace the fuel pump flown in from Alice (all done by the next working day!) -- no problems after that apart from a flat tyre on the Tanami largely due to the Trayon being set back too far for the dual cab Hilux (I suspect). The picture of a breakdown in front of The Rock was too hard to resist - I guess I'll have to get round to changing it.
Sold the lot and went back to my Prado 150 and decided to give towing a go and bought the 14.44.5 Expanda Outback which I am in the process of preparing -- being a newbie to towing I would appreciate any tips to preparing the 14.44 for off road use.
Alex

Reactions: PhilW and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
my suggestions for setting up

check and re-new / replace any wiring that looks suspect

make sure tyres are aligned

always pack with weight towards the middle and front half and as low as you can get it

weigh everything going in, and try not to go over your allowable limit

go out and enjoy yourself

Reactions: PhilW and dagree

Patrick Cran

Apr 25, 2017
Brisbane
IMG_4721.JPG Hi alex I am having the same proble with my 1756 and my do35. I guess my question is how did you over come the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Pat

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
Hi alex I am having the same proble with my 1756 and my do35.

Same here. Have adjusted the length of wire rope where it attaches at the brakes themselves, but am worried about getting enough pull vs slack that the brakes don't pull on during suspension travel. Being able to use the extra couple of clicks on the lever would be nice to resolve this.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depending on the set up but adding a small shackle where the lever attaches to the adjuster will give you a bit extra play and not compromise anything.

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
I ended up (just this evening) welding in another cross member an inch or so further back (much bigger Duragal 65x35x3, so I can also use it for a second jockey wheel bracket) then cut out the original small cross bar. Hand brake now fully locks and is taut as, whilst nice and loose when released. Still have to finish gal painting the welds, reattach the ESC module, breakaway etc, but you get the idea. May still tweak the brake cables slightly so handbrake doesn't have to be quite so vertical.

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_9441.JPG

Reactions: bigcol