Fitting a stereo and speakers - Expanda 12

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Did this mod a while back but thought I'd share what I did and a few lessons learned along the way.
Fitted a car stereo unit to our Expanda-12 in the small space above the wardrobe door.
Stereo2.jpg
Tip#1 - check you can close the wardrobe door with face plated fitted to stereo before cutting. I ended up removing the small panel section of the wardrobe and cut the hole out using a jig saw. Panel was held in by a number of screws which were easy to remove; there were also staples holding the panel in which was a bit more challenging. I used painter's tape to protect the panel surface while cutting. Tip#2 - remove tape immediately after cutting hole, otherwise run the chance of peeling off some of the panel veneer. With limited options for locating speakers due to internal layout, I chose to make small speaker boxes and fitted them beside the valance over the window.
Stereo1.jpg
I had to relocate the valance slightly so that I had a even space each side to fit the boxes. This was simple as only held on by three screws. Got some cheap 4" speakers from JB Hi-Fi and ran the cabling through the cupboard into the wardrobe. Tip#3 - with this particular stereo unit, I had to connect both ACC and BAT+ wires to van DC+ to power up stereo. Still have to tidy up the wiring but have powered up the system and it gives good sound. Also fitted a pillar mount aerial.
stereo3.jpg
Was a bit hesitant drilling through the van wall for the first time but it worked out well. Tip#4 - when locating the aerial, make sure the collapsed aerial does not protrude above the roof line in case you fit a caravan cover. Tip#5 – This particular stereo’s display is very bright even when turned off using the stereo’s on/off button. I ended up fitting a small switch in the 12VDC input line to turn it totally off at bedtime. This would also be helpful to reduce battery drain if free camping (which I’m not set up for anyway)

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
:thumb:Nice work neighbour! :D
Thanks Burnsy. I'm working on another post looking for some thoughts from the wise on whether a mod to fit a rear view camera is workable. I see you're a fitter/machinist; you may be able to give me some tips.
PS. Great Avatar!! :rockon:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks Burnsy. I'm working on another post looking for some thoughts from the wise on whether a mod to fit a rear view camera is workable. I see you're a fitter/machinist; you may be able to give me some tips.
PS. Great Avatar!! :rockon:
There's been a few members on here that's fitted cameras....something I haven't done at this stage! The avatar is from mates fancy dress 40th last weekend :)

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Simple mod @chartrock . I like it. Do you get a good view behind you with mounted low? I was thinking I would need the camera higher to get a better view. I also want to fit a pole carrier. Again, I like the job you've done on your van.
Just posted a new thread in the How To forum on the idea I had. I bought a larger camera but it could still be fixed to the rear bumper.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @Curryhouse , the tube is only 100mm but I would have preferred 150mm, just wasn't available at Bunnings at the time unless I bought a 6 metre length. The clamps that go round the tube are standard 100mm clamps from Bunnings and the ones clamping to the bumper bar are 50mm(also from Bunnings) but are slightly larger than the bumper, hence the rubber around the bar under the clamp. To stop the tube from rolling around the bumper I have put 2 more clamps around the fore and aft part of the bumper and a bracket back to the tube clamps.

I hope this makes sense, if not I'll get a couple more pics tomorrow.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @chartrock. Thanks for the detailed description. It makes sense and will help me look for the parts I need. I'm tending towards a 150mm carrier; probably don't need that size at the moment but I expect I'll find more things to fit in. Having read a few posts on the subject, it is surprising how quickly the dollars seem to add up for the parts.

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi @chartrock. Thanks for the detailed description. It makes sense and will help me look for the parts I need. I'm tending towards a 150mm carrier; probably don't need that size at the moment but I expect I'll find more things to fit in. Having read a few posts on the subject, it is surprising how quickly the dollars seem to add up for the parts.

Hi Curryhouse, just a quetion for you from another 12 Ft owner concerned about drawbar ball weight. Do you think your caravan towball weight seems excessive even with light loading ( in boot etc) or seems OK ?
jvp

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Apologies @Curryhouse , I didn't see your previous question about the view from the low camera. The view suits me as it shows what is behind me without problems and does give a wide view but it does not show more than one vehicle behind whereas if it was high, you may be able to see over the following car to others behind him.

My camera is the same as the one in your photo on your other thread and it just tucks in under the pole carrier which does show across the top of the screen.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Curryhouse, just a quetion for you from another 12 Ft owner concerned about drawbar ball weight. Do you think your caravan towball weight seems excessive even with light loading ( in boot etc) or seems OK ?
jvp
Hi @jvp. Being a novice caravaner, I'm aware of possible problems with towball weight so am mindful when loading up the front boot and try to pack any heavier items in the van over or very close to the axle line. I haven't checked the towball weight; have read numerous posts on simple methods of doing and why one should do it but am yet to actually try. Looking at the towbar height before and after hooking up the van prior to the few trips I've been away on, I don't think the towball weight has been excessive and seemed okay. My guesstimate only; no science behind it.