17' Series finding replacement bearing dust caps

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi All,
After a bearing replacement our dust cap has come loose and disappeared somewhere between melbourne and sealake...
The service centre says tough luck, its wear and tear.

So be it, but I can't find replacements of the same type. Anyone know where I can get a replacement like these please?
(2011 model)
20240111_095957.jpg
20240111_100000.jpg

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
jayco, most dealers will supply at a premium just to have jayco badge on them , most tyre retailers will supply generic wheel caps (even supercheap) bearing cap couple of dollars ,and generic wheel caps for around $8 , you have lost 2 covers not one , bearing cover and plastic badge insert

Reactions: Drover

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
jayco, most dealers will supply at a premium just to have jayco badge on them , most tyre retailers will supply generic wheel caps (even supercheap) bearing cap couple of dollars ,and generic wheel caps for around $8 , you have lost 2 covers not one , bearing cover and plastic badge insert

Attachments

• 17050400258024143906690171402295.jpg
    17050400258024143906690171402295.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 40

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
cheers. Not made by Jayco anymore. The servicer replaced the bearing dust cap at no cost, that was the easy bit. Its the outer one - you're suggesting I can just replace with a generic cap, not one which needs to match original shape? I assume the ones as per the steelie above push thru the wheel before putting the wheel back on?

Reactions: poor but proud

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, I would just buy a generic job from any auto shop to suit rim size/shape, no one really looks at the logo......... if Jayco want to adverytise then ask them for a bit of incentive....................... Big Mal chucked a wheel cap, they are big buggas and since they are a pain when rotating I just put the 3 left in shed and gave the bearing cap a nice spray of chrome ................ life is easier for swapping wheels and checking wheel nut tension now, bonus.

The whole issue was because someone didn't replace the bearing cap properly and when it let go it smacked the trim off, dealer probably just knocked a new cap on, I would be having a good look to make sure it isn't dusty or moist and the split pin ends are tucked away..... in an emergency the bottom of a drink bottle or similar cut off makes a good bearing cover, anything with a bit of duct tape, I have even used finger from a glove with tape to seal up a bearing cover after a Roo took it out...... grit and water in a bearing is not nice, seal them up asap.

Last edited:

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
cheers. Not made by Jayco anymore. The servicer replaced the bearing dust cap at no cost, that was the easy bit. Its the outer one - you're suggesting I can just replace with a generic cap, not one which needs to match original shape? I assume the ones as per the steelie above push thru the wheel before putting the wheel back on?
i just replaced all four and the wheel nuts ,makes for a nice cheap tidy up, kept i set of wheel nuts as spares ,they got used on our last adventure when a van lost a wheel because the nuts were not cracked on when he had a flat (not ours) as time goes on all of those plastic caps get brittle start to crack and will fall away on any type of rough road

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
i just replaced all four and the wheel nuts ,makes for a nice cheap tidy up, kept i set of wheel nuts as spares ,they got used on our last adventure when a van lost a wheel because the nuts were not cracked on when he had a flat (not ours) as time goes on all of those plastic caps get brittle start to crack and will fall away on any type of rough road
Just a comment,the only way that the dust cap came off and took the end off the wheel cap is because the dust cap was not seated properly, a dust cap can get knocked of going off the edge of the tar or by rocks on a gravel road. But not from inside a wheel cap, your service guy has spun a tall tale to get himself out of trouble methinks he is fibbing

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It certainly does pay to have a couple of spare wheel nuts in the drawer, they aren't some special caravan typre , juts go to a car shop with one in hand so you get the correct shape and size.......... or if you know the size you can order some from this mob they the manufacturer/importer and end up far cheaper than in a shop, use them myself.. https://www.niceproducts.com.au/category/34757-wheel-nuts/filter/61b42a0f5594e

Also @poor but proud cattle grids, notorious things for shaking off all manner of bits ..............