Exterior Final Prep for Big Trip!

macpanda

May 26, 2022
So last 3 months have been pretty hectic getting the Expanda (2010 18.57-6) ready for the big lap in 3 weeks time (new 12v, solar, wiring, fans, USB points, diesel heater install, new cupboards, DC charger etc). The last few things on my list (other than the things that i keep adding to fix) are to secure the fridge vent door, front door and any other bits a pieces on the outside of the vehicle that might get rattled off with bumpy roads. The fridge vent door has some dodgy clips that look like they could fall off any minute and i have heard stories about Jayco vans who have their front door rattle off. Any advice or pics of ways to secure these?

Also interested to hear any stories of 'must do's' or 'wish i did' to help avoid inconvenient broken parts in the middle of Australia?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You will never cover all the things that could, might happen, many of which never do..............

The magic way to have the least trouble on a trip is to have a look around the van every few days, not only when driving but in camp as well, most don't and only notice when the small, easily fixed problem of doing up a screw shows itself to all when something falls off .................. Many a horror story when looked into deeply you find the person is amazed as it was serviced before they left........ Travelled a squillion miles and find small things that need a touch up but never been waylaid, so a walk round pays off big time... and once a week a roll underneath both of them...

Use a tension wrench on your wheel nuts, you will find they will rarely come loose BUT only do wheel nuts up when cold.......... don't rely on TPMS to check your tyres, it will show you the pressure it won't tell you a chunk is missing or that theres a blister forming, using the eyes will save a simple plug patch job turning into a blow out..........

Many will put a small screw in the side of the fridge vent opposite the catches, saves it flying off as while the catches can let go its usually the tiny lugs on the opposite side to the latches that is the cause, they break off......

At every stop walk around the tug and the van, just looking, once you get familiar you will notice anything out of place without knowing really, the secret is knowing your rig, that litttle drip of water on ground before you take off from lunch stop, check it out, could be an early sign the water tank hose could be ready to drop off, those sort of things, always stop and look, by the time you get to camp its more work..... especially tyres..

Don't just fill the tyres by the compliance plate reco, once your tyres have warmed up they should be 4-6 psi higher than when cold, if too much then you haven't enough air, if not then too much and on a very hot day don't let the air out other than for keeping them in the pressure range, I may let a small amount out for dirt but I prefer to slow down, easier on the rig and easier on the tyres................ there was no way I was ever going to drop pressure on 22 wheels because of some dirt road, just slow right down, do the same with the rig.................

so basically how long is a piece of string..........................

Last edited: