Filling water tanks

Carlos61

May 16, 2019
Brisbane
G'day Vanners, I have two 85l water tanks under the van and it takes forever to fill them. I have purchased two different hose extensions but still get airlock. Is this normal and does anyone have a fix. Any feedback is appreciated.

Pottsie

Aug 13, 2016
Culburra Beach
G'day Carlos61. I bought white rubber chair leg protectors from Bunnings that fit snuggly into the filler hole. I cut a hole in the end using a sharp Stanley knife and pushed it approx 400mm onto the hose I am filling the tank with. With the hose fed into the tank and the rubber chair leg protector pushed into the filler hole, I can fill the tank with greater flow and not have water gushing out the filler. All the air gets forced out the breather. Sorry I don't have a photo I can show you as my van is in storage. Hope this helps.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I just screw a plastic tap fitting on to the filler holes works a treat you have a smallar and bigger size the bigger one screws on easy not sposed to but it dose

Reactions: Pottsie

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I pulled off and re laid the breather pipe so it ran higher than the tank, it didn't get water in it and only spat when full........ a lot of times its water in the breather that causing all the blow back.

Reactions: Eddii

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
20150806_174657.jpg

Reactions: Disco Duck

Graeme Yost

Jul 4, 2016
Tasmania
The post above is the way to go on my 18/58/2 i manage to get some screwed thread click hose fittings and heat up the inlet pipe with a heat gun and these pushed in , it means you can pressure fill the tanks

GA110-0409.png

Carlos61

May 16, 2019
Brisbane
G'day Carlos61. I bought white rubber chair leg protectors from Bunnings that fit snuggly into the filler hole. I cut a hole in the end using a sharp Stanley knife and pushed it approx 400mm onto the hose I am filling the tank with. With the hose fed into the tank and the rubber chair leg protector pushed into the filler hole, I can fill the tank with greater flow and not have water gushing out the filler. All the air gets forced out the breather. Sorry I don't have a photo I can show you as my van is in storage. Hope this helps.
Pottsie, thanks for the idea, I will give that ago but I reckon I do not have breathers, well none that I can see.

CarlDry

Jan 5, 2019
Bundaberg
Bit of a pain but I put a Jayco 3-way tap where the breather comes out of the rear tank. When I fill I duck under the van and turn the tap. The tank breaths from the top and when its full the water squirts out. Problem with pressure filling is if you want to fill from a Gerry can.