Filling up water tanks when travelling in outback

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Hi everyone,
We are heading off to NT for 5-6 weeks next month. We are aiming to do lots of national park and free camping.
Just wondering how everyone fills up their water tanks?
Would servos allow us to use their water when fueling up?
I know there are lots of dump points but have not seen water filling places, is there such thing?
Some areas we will be using a caravan parks, but we'll aim to free camp if possible.
thanks in advance
Eddii

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Caravan Parks, Information/Visitor Centres, Service Stations, I would ask them all to see what response you get. Some will, some won't.
I would also ask if they want payment for the water, you can buy water at Coober Pedy, can't remember the cost.
Quite often in those out of the way places there is a tap begging for you to put a hose on and fill up

Reactions: Eddii

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We had no issues finding water, its actually more readily available than you would otherwise think. Its accesible in many conspicuous places, and with some creative thinking many not so conspicuous places

As @jeff said Tourist Info centres are pretty consistent. Some servos were ok if you filled up with fuel. We pilfered water from info centres, servos, sports ovals, boat ramps, toilet blocks, dump points, random taps. We carry 240ltrs of water, enough for 12 days if need be. Food was our main issue and where there's food supplies, there's generally water. One or 2 nights in a caravan park every 10 days or so is enough to do a big grocery shop, wash all the clothes, give the batteries a touch up on 240v, wash the car, clean the van and fill up with water then bugger off for another 10 days.

you can buy water at Coober Pedy, can't remember the cost
Its on a timer, but for $0.20 its says youll get around 30ltrs

Last edited:

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Excellent help guys. Thanks heaps. This is our first big trip away from caravan parks hence I was asking dumb questions, sorry. Our old van wasn’t set up for free camping.
Can’t wait to go, not long now :becky:
Another question, should we get to free campsites early to not miss out on spots? We are going on peak season :(

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
On both East/West trips, we used Wikicamps on an iPad to find water and the free camp sites. It is always best to stop early as some free sites fill up quickly - depends on the size of the area. Try and also update the site in Wikicamps, with any info that may assist other travellers.

Enjoy the trip, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

GB

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
That’s true @Glen Bundesen, can’t be too focused on arriving there on time, might miss out on other things on the way.
We’ll be travelling from Central Qld to Uluru via Longreach way, then head up to Kakadu NP, Darwin and Litchfield NP. We normally have exact itenerary but this time we’ll be winging it;)
We make sure we booked Uluru caravan park because you can’t free camp there anymore:( That place gets booked out really fast.
What’s everyone’s experience with Devils Marbles campgrounds? Is it a huge site? I imagine the area gets packed really quickly.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Excellent help guys. Thanks heaps. This is our first big trip away from caravan parks hence I was asking dumb questions, sorry. Our old van wasn’t set up for free camping.
Can’t wait to go, not long now :becky:
Another question, should we get to free campsites early to not miss out on spots? We are going on peak season :(
No dumb questions here @Eddii I can assure you, everyones asked them at some point. Before we left for our first big trip north I was pondering yours, and many many more questions. Being a southern suburban'ite I assumed water in the arid, isolated north would be like trying to find truffles. Its certainly not like the south, but the "allusive" water and its real life relative availability was something that I still find amusing.

As for free camps in tourist season, if your not in there by 2pm be prepared to move on. Sometimes youll be lucky, but its a really $hit roll of the dice if you dont roll a double 6, because more often than not there will likely be nowhere else to camp within cooee.

Off season at Mary Pool in WA I stopped counting vans, campers and motorhomes once I got to 80, and they kept rolling in :o

Litchfield is a real lucky dip all the time, in season if your lucky enough to get a spot buy a Tatts ticket. There are a couple of caravan parks out toward Batchelor and as creepy as it seems, its not a bad idea to head into Litchfield wander the camp area and ask nice looking people when they are leaving and try to arrange a mutually friendly swap time for 1/2 dozen cans. The camps are off a circular one way road, perfectly set up for you to block the road for you new buddy to get out, and you to reverse in

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
That’s true @Glen Bundesen, can’t be too focused on arriving there on time, might miss out on other things on the way.
We’ll be travelling from Central Qld to Uluru via Longreach way, then head up to Kakadu NP, Darwin and Litchfield NP. We normally have exact itenerary but this time we’ll be winging it;)
We make sure we booked Uluru caravan park because you can’t free camp there anymore:( That place gets booked out really fast.
What’s everyone’s experience with Devils Marbles campgrounds? Is it a huge site? I imagine the area gets packed really quickly.

On your way to the NT, there is a great free camp just on the ouskirts of Julia Creek. The council provides push bikes for travellers to ride into town (no hills and a good pathway).

Reactions: Eddii

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Do you bother with a filter @Crusty181 ?

I never have but found these silver inline filters for $25 and thought might give one a crack?

https://www.campsmart.net.au/explor...MIxsjjq46x2wIVxAorCh2d5wYXEAQYASABEgJlSfD_BwE
Like the water accessibility question, I wrongly presumed Id have to filter any water we miraculously did find so bought a BEST filter for the trip. Ive never used it, and never felt it necessary. We use a Coleman HWS for showering when free camping anyway and water for that is much more accessible than potable water, even though potable water was easy enough to find. Quite a few time we just stopped in the middle of a river and filled the 30ltr shower container before driving on.

Ive never had the need to top up the vans tanks to be able to use the vans onboard shower, so my BEST filter is still waiting for its first deployment. For my money if I was going put a drop of questionable water into my tanks with the potential to poison them long term, Id be getting the best filter money could buy. (maybe not the best, but you get the idea)

All Aust river are potential carriers of Gardia, along with other nasties and Im not sure I could comfortably rely on a $25 filter, I was nervous enough about the $100 BEST filter and that has a pretty good reputation and in itself by comparison to other options reasonably priced.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Like the water accessibility question, I wrongly presumed Id have to filter any water we miraculously did find so bought a BEST filter for the trip. Ive never used it, and never felt it necessary. We use a Coleman HWS for showering when free camping anyway and water for that is much more accessible than potable water, even though potable water was easy enough to find. Quite a few time we just stopped in the middle of a river and filled the 30ltr shower container before driving on.

Ive never had the need to top up the vans tanks to be able to use the vans onboard shower, so my BEST filter is still waiting for its first deployment. For my money if I was going put a drop of questionable water into my tanks with the potential to poison them long term, Id be getting the best filter money could buy. (maybe not the best, but you get the idea)

All Aust river are potential carriers of Gardia, along with other nasties and Im not sure I could comfortably rely on a $25 filter, I was nervous enough about the $100 BEST filter and that has a pretty good reputation and in itself by comparison to other options reasonably priced.
I have just purchased my 2nd BEST filter, and make a habit of filtering all water that goes into the van or the tanks.

Whilst we have excellent quality water in most places, I just do it as a matter of course to protect against that 1 dodgy fill that could ruin your holiday if you end up with gastro or something worse.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

I have just purchased my 2nd BEST filter, and make a habit of filtering all water that goes into the van or the tanks.

Whilst we have excellent quality water in most places, I just do it as a matter of course to protect against that 1 dodgy fill that could ruin your holiday if you end up with gastro or something worse.

Thanks guys . I am not sure price is the guide to a filter being the best! Anyway it’s for all things “not drinking” I never drink from the tanks regardless of the quality of water gone in I don’t trust the tanks and dodger plastic pipes. Carry bottle water for drinking , or brewed water ;) or distilled water ;););)

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks guys . I am not sure price is the guide to a filter being the best! Anyway it’s for all things “not drinking” I never drink from the tanks regardless of the quality of water gone in I don’t trust the tanks and dodger plastic pipes. Carry bottle water for drinking , or brewed water ;) or distilled water ;););)
With only utility water, not being too silly where you fill up you wouldn't need a water filter at all ??

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Unlike @Crusty181 more like @Bellbirdweb i use my B.E.S.T water filter all the time and after every van park clean it by back washing and are allways surprised by the amount of crap it catches....... some parks in NSW that are heavily used it comes out like mud where you would think its clean water its not the dirty water its the pipes i reckon .....
Some camping shops sell a muilty fitting tap handel that fits all the councils taps where they take handels off and replace with funny fittings that normal taps dont fit ......... haveing filtered water takes no more extra time when filling with the B.E.S.T filter it can only be a good thing
It also dosnt need to be refrigerated like some filters as when not in use they can go off
Best filters arent cheap theres a reason..... you pay for what you get and if your drinking it why not make sure its the best get it lol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Unlike @Crusty181 more like @Bellbirdweb i use my B.E.S.T water filter all the time and after every van park clean it by back washing and are allways surprised by the amount of crap it catches....... some parks in NSW that are heavily used it comes out like mud where you would think its clean water its not the dirty water its the pipes i reckon .....
Some camping shops sell a muilty fitting tap handel that fits all the councils taps where they take handels off and replace with funny fittings that normal taps dont fit ......... haveing filtered water takes no more extra time when filling with the B.E.S.T filter it can only be a good thing
It also dosnt need to be refrigerated like some filters as when not in use they can go off
Best filters arent cheap theres a reason..... you pay for what you get and if your drinking it why not make sure its the best get it lol

Yeah I guess that’s it I just don’t want to contaminate the tanks if I can help. Couple years ago we were in a driveway of a residence in forster using there tap supply and the little bit of water that dribbled from the connection stained the white plastic blue ffs!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
The filter can come with 2 plastic clips that i screwed under van so it clips into them now you carnt evan see it when its all connected ive allways said its the best thing ive brought for the van dont travel with it cliped in i put it in the front storage with all my other pipes and hoses

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
20180603_093428.jpg
Here it is connected to my new improved tap another great best thing ive done getting rid of the plastic inlet
Theres no arrows for flow on the filter it can go anyway but i put 2 arrows on it so i allways know which way to flow into van makes back washing it easy 5 stars